Jul 24, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
Though to hear executive VP of hockey ops Joe Sakic explain it, Barrie’s negotiations should be smoother than O’Reilly’s.
“I’m very confident we’ll get something done with Tyson,” Sakic said on Wednesday, per the Denver Post. Barrie, who turns 23 in two days, just wrapped the last of his three-year, $2.7 million entry-level deal (with a $900,000 annual cap hit) and should garner a decent raise with his new contract.
Colorado’s third-round pick (64th overall) at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft, Barrie had a quality campaign last year by scoring 38 points in 64 games. He did that despite spending chunks of October and November with AHL Lake Erie; extrapolated out over an 82-game regular season, Barrie — who scored at a 0.59 points-per-game clip — was on pace for a 48-point year.
Diminutive in stature but a gifted puck-mover, Barrie led all Avs d-men in goals last year, with 13, a number tied him for ninth among NHL blueliners (with Victor Hedman and Roman Josi.) He was knocked out of the playoffs by a Matt Cooke knee in the opening round, but recently revealed he’s fully recovered.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)