Jul 23, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
About two weeks ago, Steven Stamkos caused a stir by (briefly) “favoriting” stories pondering a Lebron James-inspired* homecoming to the Toronto Maple Leafs once he becomes an unrestricted free agent in 2016. He removed such favorites from Twitter, yet it caused some hysterics among Maple Leafs fanatics.
(Hey, it’s the summer, which you may notice is a tough time for hockey-crazed people.)
Stamkos broke his silence on that subject on Wednesday, essentially telling everyone to take it easy in an interview with the Canadian Press.
“We’ll see what happens. It’s a couple years away,” Stamkos said. “Right now I’m focused on what I have to do to win in Tampa, and I think we’ve really established ourselves as a team that can compete in upcoming years.
“For me, that’s the important thing is getting a chance to win. It looks like we’re going to have that chance for a couple years.”
Well, that’s not exactly an emphatic “no,” but it’s not exactly an invitation to play this song, either.
While more than a few Tampa Bay Lightning fans might be hyperventilating at the idea of their team on the rise losing another captain, the message really might be that the Bolts need to do everything in their power to make sure Stamkos, 24, views his squad as legitimate Stanley Cup contender.
In the meantime, Stamkos said he tries “not to focus about that stuff” and appreciates that Tampa Bay isn’t the hockey “mecca” that Toronto is. Of course, he also said he has fun every time he goes back to Toronto …
* – To be fair, the Lebron – Stamkos parallel has some serious holes in it, especially since the NBA star actually was drafted by his hometown team before leaving for Florida in free agency. Still, that last part makes it a fun comparison in slower hockey times. (Replace fun with “unnerving” if you cheer for the Lighting.)
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)