Jul 23, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
“There was never any animosity between us this whole time. Any of the perceived animosity came from the outside.”
Sakic, Colorado’s executive VP of hockey ops, also said the Avs want to keep O’Reilly “long-term” and that “we’ll keep working at it and see what happens.”
The “perceived animosity” remark was an interesting one, though — particularly after what O’Reilly’s agent, Pat Morris, said in June, when he went on the radio and suggested the Avs were playing with fire in their negotiations with his client.
Now, granted, RFA negotiations are often contentious, with both sides holding leverage. But O’Reilly’s last negotiation with the Avs got “ugly,” too. And while Sakic wasn’t around for that one, he still wasn’t able to get the 23-year-old signed to a long-term deal this time around.
If anything, O’Reilly’s new two-year deal provides time, and maybe a bit of goodwill. He’ll be eligible to sign a long-term extension next summer, something both sides have said they want, if only for a difference in opinion on compensation.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)