Jul 23, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
“There was never any animosity between us this whole time. Any of the perceived animosity came from the outside.”
Sakic, Colorado’s executive VP of hockey ops, also said the Avs want to keep O’Reilly “long-term” and that “we’ll keep working at it and see what happens.”
The “perceived animosity” remark was an interesting one, though — particularly after what O’Reilly’s agent, Pat Morris, said in June, when he went on the radio and suggested the Avs were playing with fire in their negotiations with his client.
Now, granted, RFA negotiations are often contentious, with both sides holding leverage. But O’Reilly’s last negotiation with the Avs got “ugly,” too. And while Sakic wasn’t around for that one, he still wasn’t able to get the 23-year-old signed to a long-term deal this time around.
If anything, O’Reilly’s new two-year deal provides time, and maybe a bit of goodwill. He’ll be eligible to sign a long-term extension next summer, something both sides have said they want, if only for a difference in opinion on compensation.
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 3
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 4
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 11
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 34
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)