Jul 23, 2014, 10:48 AM EST
The Buffalo Sabres have signed defenseman Andre Benoit to a one-year, $800,000 contract, according to TSN’s Aaron Ward.
Benoit played 79 games for Colorado last season, scoring seven goals with 21 assists while logging 20:13 of ice time per contest. The undrafted 30-year-old has skated in 120 NHL games with the Avalanche and Senators, plus a whole bunch more in the AHL and in Europe.
In Buffalo, Benoit will join newcomers Josh Gorges and Andrej Meszaros on a Sabres blue line that struggled both defensively and offensively last season, and also one that no longer has Christian Ehrhoff.
Expect Benoit to get time on the power play. In Colorado, he averaged 2:26 per game with the man advantage, scoring once with seven assists.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 7
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)