Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
The Washington Capitals seem open-minded about eventually moving Alex Ovechkin back to his original spot at left wing, but for now they’re sticking with former head coach Adam Oates’ decision to keep him on the right side.
That’s what new head coach Barry Trotz and new GM Brian MacLellan shared with the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman in his final 30 Thoughts Column before the 2014-15 season kicks into gear.
Then again, the wording seems like they’re doing so almost with a shoulder shrug more than an emphatic statement.
7. So, is Alex Ovechkin a right-winger or a left-winger? “He’s a right-winger in the defensive zone who can cross-over to the left side offensively,” said Capitals GM Brian MacLellan. “I’ll start him on the right, but we know he can play left,” said coach Barry Trotz. “For sake of simplicity, let’s start that way.”
It will be interesting to see how long Trotz might stick with that plan. Could he shift the 28-year-old back if he doesn’t like what he’s seeing in training camp? Will it be more of a 10 or 20-game audition?
Ultimately, it’s probably more important that Trotz pushes the right button with Ovechkin.
It’s anyone’s call how well that might shake out. Trotz seems to be taking an interesting “tough love + understanding” approach with the star scorer, noting to Friedman that “Players may whine about structure and accountability, but at the end of day they want that.”
Actually, what the Capitals might really want is stability. The franchise seems like it’s been suffering rom a serious identity crisis ever since Jaroslav Halak and then Montreal Canadiens upset them in the 2010 playoffs, so a clear direction might be the most important thing of all.
That said, they could also ask the guy which position he prefers and give Ovechkin a chance to prove that he deserves to stay where he wants. Just a thought, though.
Sep 20, 2014, 6:07 PM EDT
Do Thornton and Marleau disagree with coach Todd McLellan on this point?
Sep 20, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
It’s his first chance to provide his argument for why he should make the team.
Sep 20, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
Tough timing for him as he had been playing alongside fellow countryman David Krejci.
Sep 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Optimistic about sticking with the big club out of camp.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Listed as day-to-day.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
Expected to miss a couple days according to Randy Carlyle.
Sep 20, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
Discussions regarding deal are on-going.
Sep 20, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
Experimentation process has begun as team looks for secondary scoring.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Stars searching for a suitable No. 2 behind Kari Lehtonen.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
After playing in just 16 games in 2013-14, he’s looking to be a contributor this season.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
Undrafted defenseman looking to make an impression at camp.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets would settle for far less after he scored just 19 last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
The last thing he wants is to suffer a setback by rushing his recovery.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
That’s not the only summer statement he took exception to.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Bob Suter was a defenseman on the “Miracle on Ice” team.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT
That usually doesn’t end well, but this might be an exception.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
He suffered three concussions in under a year.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
It’s part of the reason why the defenseman is playing for Washington.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
He suffered a concussion last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:17 PM EDT
Greg Sherman stayed on as his assistant.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 17
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)