Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
The Washington Capitals seem open-minded about eventually moving Alex Ovechkin back to his original spot at left wing, but for now they’re sticking with former head coach Adam Oates’ decision to keep him on the right side.
That’s what new head coach Barry Trotz and new GM Brian MacLellan shared with the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman in his final 30 Thoughts Column before the 2014-15 season kicks into gear.
Then again, the wording seems like they’re doing so almost with a shoulder shrug more than an emphatic statement.
7. So, is Alex Ovechkin a right-winger or a left-winger? “He’s a right-winger in the defensive zone who can cross-over to the left side offensively,” said Capitals GM Brian MacLellan. “I’ll start him on the right, but we know he can play left,” said coach Barry Trotz. “For sake of simplicity, let’s start that way.”
It will be interesting to see how long Trotz might stick with that plan. Could he shift the 28-year-old back if he doesn’t like what he’s seeing in training camp? Will it be more of a 10 or 20-game audition?
Ultimately, it’s probably more important that Trotz pushes the right button with Ovechkin.
It’s anyone’s call how well that might shake out. Trotz seems to be taking an interesting “tough love + understanding” approach with the star scorer, noting to Friedman that “Players may whine about structure and accountability, but at the end of day they want that.”
Actually, what the Capitals might really want is stability. The franchise seems like it’s been suffering rom a serious identity crisis ever since Jaroslav Halak and then Montreal Canadiens upset them in the 2010 playoffs, so a clear direction might be the most important thing of all.
That said, they could also ask the guy which position he prefers and give Ovechkin a chance to prove that he deserves to stay where he wants. Just a thought, though.
Oct 1, 2014, 6:38 PM EDT
One last chance for a tune-up.
Oct 1, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Where he’ll resume coaching duties for KHL Lokomotiv.
Oct 1, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT
Didn’t take advantage of their opportunities.
Oct 1, 2014, 2:46 PM EDT
Sounds like both will start the season at center.
Oct 1, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
Off to AHL Lake Erie they go.
Oct 1, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
“We have not been in contact with the IOC and they have not been in touch with us.”
Oct 1, 2014, 2:09 PM EDT
Meaning all of Columbus’ No. 1 line — Jenner, Ryan Johansen and Nathan Horton — is now out of action.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
He won’t be ready for the season opener.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
Both have one-year, two-way contracts.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT
And Zack Stortini has been placed on waivers.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:12 PM EDT
“You can tell a guy ‘don’t dive’, but even on our team we’ve seen a few of them.”
Oct 1, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT
Another veteran d-man, Nolan Yonkman, was also released.
Oct 1, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
“But we’ve talked and we’ll continue to talk about it.”
Oct 1, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
A rookie head coach, some significant roster turnover and the annual questions in goal.
Oct 1, 2014, 12:08 PM EDT
The second overall pick in the 2014 draft has gone pointless in three preseason games.
Oct 1, 2014, 11:54 AM EDT
Oct 1, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Pending RFA forward’s deal is up at the end of the season.
Oct 1, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
Alex Goligoski is the team’s No. 1 d-man. And that’s a concern.
Oct 1, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
“It was clicking on full cylinders there.”
Oct 1, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
One of them was rusty.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 25
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 6
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 14
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (25)