Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
While the San Jose Sharks upset more than a few of their fans by strongly considering shifting their ice crew to appear more like cheerleaders (or “ice girls”), at least one other team is reversing that trend. The Florida Panthers announced that they’re doing away with the “Lady Panthers” after employing them for nine years.
As you can see, they’re going with a “skating-only” crew next season, which would essentially be a reversal of the Sharks’ change (assuming San Jose goes through the proposed changes).
The South Florida Sun-Sentinel’s Craig Davis reports that the Panthers didn’t provide their reasoning behind the decision, but points to some trends moving away from the practice of employing cheerleaders (or cheerleader-like promotions) in the NHL and other sports.
The New York Rangers disbanded theirs in 2007, the same year the team settled a sexual harassment lawsuit by a former ice girl.
The Panthers wouldn’t comment on whether the move was influenced by several lawsuits filed this year by NFL cheerleaders. The Panthers have made a number of organizational changes in the past year since an ownership change.
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 4
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 13
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)