Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
While the San Jose Sharks upset more than a few of their fans by strongly considering shifting their ice crew to appear more like cheerleaders (or “ice girls”), at least one other team is reversing that trend. The Florida Panthers announced that they’re doing away with the “Lady Panthers” after employing them for nine years.
As you can see, they’re going with a “skating-only” crew next season, which would essentially be a reversal of the Sharks’ change (assuming San Jose goes through the proposed changes).
The South Florida Sun-Sentinel’s Craig Davis reports that the Panthers didn’t provide their reasoning behind the decision, but points to some trends moving away from the practice of employing cheerleaders (or cheerleader-like promotions) in the NHL and other sports.
The New York Rangers disbanded theirs in 2007, the same year the team settled a sexual harassment lawsuit by a former ice girl.
The Panthers wouldn’t comment on whether the move was influenced by several lawsuits filed this year by NFL cheerleaders. The Panthers have made a number of organizational changes in the past year since an ownership change.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 71
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 54
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 34
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)