Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
While the San Jose Sharks upset more than a few of their fans by strongly considering shifting their ice crew to appear more like cheerleaders (or “ice girls”), at least one other team is reversing that trend. The Florida Panthers announced that they’re doing away with the “Lady Panthers” after employing them for nine years.
As you can see, they’re going with a “skating-only” crew next season, which would essentially be a reversal of the Sharks’ change (assuming San Jose goes through the proposed changes).
The South Florida Sun-Sentinel’s Craig Davis reports that the Panthers didn’t provide their reasoning behind the decision, but points to some trends moving away from the practice of employing cheerleaders (or cheerleader-like promotions) in the NHL and other sports.
The New York Rangers disbanded theirs in 2007, the same year the team settled a sexual harassment lawsuit by a former ice girl.
The Panthers wouldn’t comment on whether the move was influenced by several lawsuits filed this year by NFL cheerleaders. The Panthers have made a number of organizational changes in the past year since an ownership change.
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 4
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 0
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 51
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (51)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)