Jul 23, 2014, 5:50 PM EST
The Montreal Canadiens and Lars Eller shared that salary arbitration submissions on Wednesday, with Eller’s request almost doubling his team’s assessment.
Eller wants: $3.1 million
Montreal counters with: $1.65 million
Both of those numbers come from a report by the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman.
The salary arbitration session is scheduled for Friday, so the two sides still have time to meet somewhere in the middle.
Eller, 26, didn’t enjoy the greatest contract year in 2013-14. He scored fewer points (26) in 77 games after managing 30 points in 46 games during the lockout-abbreviated 2012-13 campaign. He also had more points (28) in 2011-12, as well.
Eller carried a $1.325 million cap hit the past two seasons with a salary of $1.5 million in 2013-14. He was the main asset the Habs received when they sent Jaroslav Halak to the St. Louis Blues in the summer of 2010.
Canadiens blog Habs Eyes on the Prize isn’t certain a compromise will happen in that window of time, yet the idea of arbitration might not be so foreboding:
It’s easy to read into such a small bump offered by the Canadiens, but remember that this is a negotiation. Based on the arbitration awards of the past, and according to lawyers who assure me that these things tend to end up somewhere in the middle, expect to see Eller get somewhere between $2.2-2.5M per year on his new deal.
Either way, this isn’t the biggest task on Montreal GM Marc Bergevin’s to-do list, as P.K. Subban‘s arbitration session is scheduled for August 1.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:31 PM EST
Some exciting moments from Ducks – Coyotes.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:02 PM EST
The frequent Islanders hitter has two long-ago suspensions.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:40 PM EST
A truly weird scene for Florida’s goalies.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:17 PM EST
Easy, if uninspired, win for Tampa Bay.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:39 PM EST
He fought Marcus Foligno on Tuesday.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:24 PM EST
Tough start to Tuesday for goalies.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:18 PM EST
Montoya is currently trying to gut it out.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:06 PM EST
A contentious game in Columbus.
Mar 3, 2015, 8:16 PM EST
They traded for him on Monday.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:55 PM EST
Vancouver faces San Jose tonight.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:29 PM EST
He says he’s happy to be in New Jersey.
Mar 3, 2015, 6:29 PM EST
Could we see an upset or a blowout?
Mar 3, 2015, 5:33 PM EST
Incident occurred during TSN’s trade deadline day coverage.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:41 PM EST
Recapping the trade deadline.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:38 PM EST
“Shane’s a pro, he’ll get through it.”
Mar 3, 2015, 3:58 PM EST
Flames captain was holding out hope for a “tiny chance” he could keep playing.
Mar 3, 2015, 3:25 PM EST
Making it “pretty cool to be a part of.”
Mar 3, 2015, 2:17 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 3, 2015, 2:16 PM EST
He didn’t sign with them to lose.
Mar 3, 2015, 1:32 PM EST
Ex-Dallas winger could open up playing alongside the Detroit captain.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)