Jul 23, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens and Lars Eller shared that salary arbitration submissions on Wednesday, with Eller’s request almost doubling his team’s assessment.
Eller wants: $3.1 million
Montreal counters with: $1.65 million
Both of those numbers come from a report by the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman.
The salary arbitration session is scheduled for Friday, so the two sides still have time to meet somewhere in the middle.
Eller, 26, didn’t enjoy the greatest contract year in 2013-14. He scored fewer points (26) in 77 games after managing 30 points in 46 games during the lockout-abbreviated 2012-13 campaign. He also had more points (28) in 2011-12, as well.
Eller carried a $1.325 million cap hit the past two seasons with a salary of $1.5 million in 2013-14. He was the main asset the Habs received when they sent Jaroslav Halak to the St. Louis Blues in the summer of 2010.
Canadiens blog Habs Eyes on the Prize isn’t certain a compromise will happen in that window of time, yet the idea of arbitration might not be so foreboding:
It’s easy to read into such a small bump offered by the Canadiens, but remember that this is a negotiation. Based on the arbitration awards of the past, and according to lawyers who assure me that these things tend to end up somewhere in the middle, expect to see Eller get somewhere between $2.2-2.5M per year on his new deal.
Either way, this isn’t the biggest task on Montreal GM Marc Bergevin’s to-do list, as P.K. Subban‘s arbitration session is scheduled for August 1.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT
Former first-round pick missed extensive time to a torn ACL.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:42 AM EDT
Taken 16th overall in 2007.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT
Remember him? Taken 3rd overall in 2004… behind Alex Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
Tough blow for a kid looking to make the leap this season.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:01 AM EDT
Just a precautionary measure, said GM Jim Rutherford.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT
He spent a lot of time on the sidelines last season, but Pittsburgh leaned on him heavily when he was healthy.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Retired Finnish star was diplomatic after being made a healthy scratch, but now he’s opening up.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:01 AM EDT
Is it still reasonable to believe this might have a relatively happy ending for both sides?
Sep 18, 2014, 7:57 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:48 PM EDT
Brendan Bell also gets a chance to impress.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
A clothing-conscious post.
Sep 17, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
His back issues present another headache for Columbus.
Sep 17, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
He has 44 games of NHL experience under his belt.
Sep 17, 2014, 6:39 PM EDT
Insert your “humongous big” jokes here.
Sep 17, 2014, 6:24 PM EDT
Quite an open letter.
Sep 17, 2014, 5:26 PM EDT
Sep 17, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
His agent says it’s best to leave town and avoiding being a distraction.
Sep 17, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT
“No matter how much my old teammates say it doesn’t bother them, it affects them. It does in that city.”
Sep 17, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
And on the possibility of his client signing an offer sheet? “Well, we’ll have to see.”
Sep 17, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
“Justin has emerged as one of our most well-rounded and dependable defensemen.”
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 1
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 11
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 19
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 22
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 52
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (52)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)