Jul 23, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens and Lars Eller shared that salary arbitration submissions on Wednesday, with Eller’s request almost doubling his team’s assessment.
Eller wants: $3.1 million
Montreal counters with: $1.65 million
Both of those numbers come from a report by the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman.
The salary arbitration session is scheduled for Friday, so the two sides still have time to meet somewhere in the middle.
Eller, 26, didn’t enjoy the greatest contract year in 2013-14. He scored fewer points (26) in 77 games after managing 30 points in 46 games during the lockout-abbreviated 2012-13 campaign. He also had more points (28) in 2011-12, as well.
Eller carried a $1.325 million cap hit the past two seasons with a salary of $1.5 million in 2013-14. He was the main asset the Habs received when they sent Jaroslav Halak to the St. Louis Blues in the summer of 2010.
Canadiens blog Habs Eyes on the Prize isn’t certain a compromise will happen in that window of time, yet the idea of arbitration might not be so foreboding:
It’s easy to read into such a small bump offered by the Canadiens, but remember that this is a negotiation. Based on the arbitration awards of the past, and according to lawyers who assure me that these things tend to end up somewhere in the middle, expect to see Eller get somewhere between $2.2-2.5M per year on his new deal.
Either way, this isn’t the biggest task on Montreal GM Marc Bergevin’s to-do list, as P.K. Subban‘s arbitration session is scheduled for August 1.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 27
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 78
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (81)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)