Jul 23, 2014, 7:53 PM EST
Unrestricted free agent defenseman Cory Sarich remains hospitalized in the Calgary area following an accident in which he was struck by a car while cycling on Monday, but it doesn’t appear as if he’s suffered any life-threatening injuries.
The report indicates that Sarich suffered multiple broken vertebrae and also has a severe case of road rash from the incident. Here are a few more details regarding the accident:
The good news is that Sarich, 35, was able to provide an optimistic update about his condition on Twitter:
Sarich spent the 2013-14 season with the Colorado Avalanche. He also played with the Tampa Bay Lightning for seven seasons (1999-2000 to 2006-07) and the Calgary Flames for six (2007-08 to 2012-13). The Flames and Avalanche were among those who sent Sarich their best wishes as of Wednesday.
There’s no timetable regarding when (or if) he’ll be able to return to NHL action as of this time.
“It’s been a rough couple of days and I’m grateful for the support I’ve been receiving from the medical team here and from family and friends,” Sarich said, according to NHL.com. “My wife, Reagan, and I appreciate all of the kind words and encouragement.”
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)