Jul 23, 2014, 7:53 PM EDT
Unrestricted free agent defenseman Cory Sarich remains hospitalized in the Calgary area following an accident in which he was struck by a car while cycling on Monday, but it doesn’t appear as if he’s suffered any life-threatening injuries.
The report indicates that Sarich suffered multiple broken vertebrae and also has a severe case of road rash from the incident. Here are a few more details regarding the accident:
The good news is that Sarich, 35, was able to provide an optimistic update about his condition on Twitter:
Sarich spent the 2013-14 season with the Colorado Avalanche. He also played with the Tampa Bay Lightning for seven seasons (1999-2000 to 2006-07) and the Calgary Flames for six (2007-08 to 2012-13). The Flames and Avalanche were among those who sent Sarich their best wishes as of Wednesday.
There’s no timetable regarding when (or if) he’ll be able to return to NHL action as of this time.
“It’s been a rough couple of days and I’m grateful for the support I’ve been receiving from the medical team here and from family and friends,” Sarich said, according to NHL.com. “My wife, Reagan, and I appreciate all of the kind words and encouragement.”
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)