Jul 22, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Considering how scrappy Antoine Roussel is, it makes sense that the Dallas Stars are glad they avoided a salary arbitration squabble with him by agreeing to a four-year, $8 million contract on Tuesday.
More than that, management clearly seems high on the pugnacious forward, as you can see from GM Jim Nill’s comments to the Dallas Morning News.
“We think he’s a big part of our team going forward, and we wanted to get him locked up,” Nill said. “He’s a character guy who has worked hard to become an NHL player. It was important for us to get this done with him.”
Roussel was a surprise addition to the team coming out of the lockout in 2013 and was seen as merely fourth line depth, but quickly established himself as a player that can have a significant impact on the game. Playing at times on the second line in 2013-14, Roussel became one of the best checking line forwards for the Stars last season while also proving capable of adding some offensive pop when needed.
The Stars gave themselves two fantastic one-two offensive punches in the form of Tyler Seguin – Jamie Benn and Jason Spezza – Ales Hemsky, yet that also shifts a lot of the “dirty work” to players like Roussel. Considering Roussel’s fairly handsome reward in the form of that new deal, it’s clear that the franchise values the “grunt work” too.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)