Jul 22, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
The already-thin free agent ranks saw another quality forward crossed off the list when the Toronto Maple Leafs signed David Booth, yet a team in need of scoring might just look to Peter Mueller, as the free agent forward is drawing some interest according to Fox Sports Midwest’s Andy Strickland.
Strickland doesn’t specify which teams are interested and doesn’t give a number of suitors, but Mueller provides an interesting consideration.
The Good: He has some serious pedigree (the Phoenix Coyotes selected him eighth overall in 2006) and he’s only 26. Mueller has a 22-goal, 54-point season to his name, and it’s plausible that he’s far enough removed from concussion issues that he might be able to regain his scoring touch in the right situation.
One would also assume he’d probably come pretty cheap.
The Bad: Mueller wasn’t even in the NHL last season, instead producing nicely in Switzerland. It’s been quite some time since he’s been a particularly productive scorer; he didn’t manage to hit the 20-point mark in his past two NHL campaigns.
Like just about any free agent at this time of year, Mueller has his pluses and minuses. While his ceiling doesn’t seem that high, it’s not outrageous to picture him being a solid addition to an NHL roster.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 48
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 70
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)