Jul 22, 2014, 10:15 PM EST
The already-thin free agent ranks saw another quality forward crossed off the list when the Toronto Maple Leafs signed David Booth, yet a team in need of scoring might just look to Peter Mueller, as the free agent forward is drawing some interest according to Fox Sports Midwest’s Andy Strickland.
Strickland doesn’t specify which teams are interested and doesn’t give a number of suitors, but Mueller provides an interesting consideration.
The Good: He has some serious pedigree (the Phoenix Coyotes selected him eighth overall in 2006) and he’s only 26. Mueller has a 22-goal, 54-point season to his name, and it’s plausible that he’s far enough removed from concussion issues that he might be able to regain his scoring touch in the right situation.
One would also assume he’d probably come pretty cheap.
The Bad: Mueller wasn’t even in the NHL last season, instead producing nicely in Switzerland. It’s been quite some time since he’s been a particularly productive scorer; he didn’t manage to hit the 20-point mark in his past two NHL campaigns.
Like just about any free agent at this time of year, Mueller has his pluses and minuses. While his ceiling doesn’t seem that high, it’s not outrageous to picture him being a solid addition to an NHL roster.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 4
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 25
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)