Jul 22, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
The already-thin free agent ranks saw another quality forward crossed off the list when the Toronto Maple Leafs signed David Booth, yet a team in need of scoring might just look to Peter Mueller, as the free agent forward is drawing some interest according to Fox Sports Midwest’s Andy Strickland.
Strickland doesn’t specify which teams are interested and doesn’t give a number of suitors, but Mueller provides an interesting consideration.
The Good: He has some serious pedigree (the Phoenix Coyotes selected him eighth overall in 2006) and he’s only 26. Mueller has a 22-goal, 54-point season to his name, and it’s plausible that he’s far enough removed from concussion issues that he might be able to regain his scoring touch in the right situation.
One would also assume he’d probably come pretty cheap.
The Bad: Mueller wasn’t even in the NHL last season, instead producing nicely in Switzerland. It’s been quite some time since he’s been a particularly productive scorer; he didn’t manage to hit the 20-point mark in his past two NHL campaigns.
Like just about any free agent at this time of year, Mueller has his pluses and minuses. While his ceiling doesn’t seem that high, it’s not outrageous to picture him being a solid addition to an NHL roster.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 20
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 47
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)