Jul 22, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
The already-thin free agent ranks saw another quality forward crossed off the list when the Toronto Maple Leafs signed David Booth, yet a team in need of scoring might just look to Peter Mueller, as the free agent forward is drawing some interest according to Fox Sports Midwest’s Andy Strickland.
Strickland doesn’t specify which teams are interested and doesn’t give a number of suitors, but Mueller provides an interesting consideration.
The Good: He has some serious pedigree (the Phoenix Coyotes selected him eighth overall in 2006) and he’s only 26. Mueller has a 22-goal, 54-point season to his name, and it’s plausible that he’s far enough removed from concussion issues that he might be able to regain his scoring touch in the right situation.
One would also assume he’d probably come pretty cheap.
The Bad: Mueller wasn’t even in the NHL last season, instead producing nicely in Switzerland. It’s been quite some time since he’s been a particularly productive scorer; he didn’t manage to hit the 20-point mark in his past two NHL campaigns.
Like just about any free agent at this time of year, Mueller has his pluses and minuses. While his ceiling doesn’t seem that high, it’s not outrageous to picture him being a solid addition to an NHL roster.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 6
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 19
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 10
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 36
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)