Jul 22, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
The already-thin free agent ranks saw another quality forward crossed off the list when the Toronto Maple Leafs signed David Booth, yet a team in need of scoring might just look to Peter Mueller, as the free agent forward is drawing some interest according to Fox Sports Midwest’s Andy Strickland.
Strickland doesn’t specify which teams are interested and doesn’t give a number of suitors, but Mueller provides an interesting consideration.
The Good: He has some serious pedigree (the Phoenix Coyotes selected him eighth overall in 2006) and he’s only 26. Mueller has a 22-goal, 54-point season to his name, and it’s plausible that he’s far enough removed from concussion issues that he might be able to regain his scoring touch in the right situation.
One would also assume he’d probably come pretty cheap.
The Bad: Mueller wasn’t even in the NHL last season, instead producing nicely in Switzerland. It’s been quite some time since he’s been a particularly productive scorer; he didn’t manage to hit the 20-point mark in his past two NHL campaigns.
Like just about any free agent at this time of year, Mueller has his pluses and minuses. While his ceiling doesn’t seem that high, it’s not outrageous to picture him being a solid addition to an NHL roster.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 0
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 24
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 16
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 28
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)