Jul 22, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs are shaking up their management group.
But this time it’s a little different.
The Leafs announced today that 28-year-old Kyle Dubas has been hired as an assistant general manager to Dave Nonis, and also that VP of hockey ops Dave Poulin and assistant general manager Claude Loiselle have been let go.
“Kyle is a young executive that has made a strong name for himself in hockey with a progressive style, work ethic and maturation beyond his years,” said Leafs president Brendan Shanahan in a release. “He has a fresh approach that we feel will benefit our club for years to come.”
Dubas has spent the last three seasons as general manager of the OHL’s Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds. He’s also a strong proponent of the use of analytics, or so-called advanced statistics, an area the Leafs have been heavily criticized for overlooking.
“The chance to work for the Toronto Maple Leafs is like a dream come true,” said Dubas. “I’m truly excited to begin helping this team win and learn from men like Brendan Shanahan and Dave Nonis. I’m very thankful for this opportunity, but equally grateful to the Greyhounds organization and the city of Sault Ste. Marie for helping put me in this position. The Leafs are focused on building a team that will enjoy long-term success and I am excited to play a role in it.”
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)