Jul 22, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs are shaking up their management group.
But this time it’s a little different.
The Leafs announced today that 28-year-old Kyle Dubas has been hired as an assistant general manager to Dave Nonis, and also that VP of hockey ops Dave Poulin and assistant general manager Claude Loiselle have been let go.
“Kyle is a young executive that has made a strong name for himself in hockey with a progressive style, work ethic and maturation beyond his years,” said Leafs president Brendan Shanahan in a release. “He has a fresh approach that we feel will benefit our club for years to come.”
Dubas has spent the last three seasons as general manager of the OHL’s Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds. He’s also a strong proponent of the use of analytics, or so-called advanced statistics, an area the Leafs have been heavily criticized for overlooking.
“The chance to work for the Toronto Maple Leafs is like a dream come true,” said Dubas. “I’m truly excited to begin helping this team win and learn from men like Brendan Shanahan and Dave Nonis. I’m very thankful for this opportunity, but equally grateful to the Greyhounds organization and the city of Sault Ste. Marie for helping put me in this position. The Leafs are focused on building a team that will enjoy long-term success and I am excited to play a role in it.”
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)