Jul 22, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs are shaking up their management group.
But this time it’s a little different.
The Leafs announced today that 28-year-old Kyle Dubas has been hired as an assistant general manager to Dave Nonis, and also that VP of hockey ops Dave Poulin and assistant general manager Claude Loiselle have been let go.
“Kyle is a young executive that has made a strong name for himself in hockey with a progressive style, work ethic and maturation beyond his years,” said Leafs president Brendan Shanahan in a release. “He has a fresh approach that we feel will benefit our club for years to come.”
Dubas has spent the last three seasons as general manager of the OHL’s Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds. He’s also a strong proponent of the use of analytics, or so-called advanced statistics, an area the Leafs have been heavily criticized for overlooking.
“The chance to work for the Toronto Maple Leafs is like a dream come true,” said Dubas. “I’m truly excited to begin helping this team win and learn from men like Brendan Shanahan and Dave Nonis. I’m very thankful for this opportunity, but equally grateful to the Greyhounds organization and the city of Sault Ste. Marie for helping put me in this position. The Leafs are focused on building a team that will enjoy long-term success and I am excited to play a role in it.”
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 12
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 11
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 39
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)