Jul 22, 2014, 10:57 AM EST
The Toronto Maple Leafs are shaking up their management group.
But this time it’s a little different.
The Leafs announced today that 28-year-old Kyle Dubas has been hired as an assistant general manager to Dave Nonis, and also that VP of hockey ops Dave Poulin and assistant general manager Claude Loiselle have been let go.
“Kyle is a young executive that has made a strong name for himself in hockey with a progressive style, work ethic and maturation beyond his years,” said Leafs president Brendan Shanahan in a release. “He has a fresh approach that we feel will benefit our club for years to come.”
Dubas has spent the last three seasons as general manager of the OHL’s Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds. He’s also a strong proponent of the use of analytics, or so-called advanced statistics, an area the Leafs have been heavily criticized for overlooking.
“The chance to work for the Toronto Maple Leafs is like a dream come true,” said Dubas. “I’m truly excited to begin helping this team win and learn from men like Brendan Shanahan and Dave Nonis. I’m very thankful for this opportunity, but equally grateful to the Greyhounds organization and the city of Sault Ste. Marie for helping put me in this position. The Leafs are focused on building a team that will enjoy long-term success and I am excited to play a role in it.”
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 57
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 72
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (142)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (72)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)