Jul 22, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs didn’t exactly blow anyone’s doors off in free agency this summer and for some fans, that might be a good thing. One thing they shouldn’t expect are any further moves.
Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis talked about the team’s less-than exciting offseason says what you see is what you get as Sean Fitz-Gerald of The National Post shared.
“There’s still a couple little pieces there that we may have interest in,” Nonis said. “But we’ll see. There’s a few players where we’ve kicked the tires, and we’ll see if there’s a fit. But by and large, what we have right now is what we’re going to start with.”
The Leafs just re-signed defenseman Cody Franson to a one-year contract on Monday and took care of some business in free agency by bringing back Leo Komarov and Matt Frattin and adding Stephane Robidas, Mike Santorelli, and Petri Kontiola. They still have restricted free agents Jake Gardiner and James Reimer left to get new deals done with.
If there’s a player where there might be some action around it’s Reimer. He requested a trade after last season, but after the goalie market settled out early in free agency, there aren’t many options for him left unless he wants to be a backup.
Essentially, the Leafs are bringing back a team that finished 12th in the Eastern Conference last season. At least being in the East gives them a puncher’s chance.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (38)