Jul 22, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs didn’t exactly blow anyone’s doors off in free agency this summer and for some fans, that might be a good thing. One thing they shouldn’t expect are any further moves.
Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis talked about the team’s less-than exciting offseason says what you see is what you get as Sean Fitz-Gerald of The National Post shared.
“There’s still a couple little pieces there that we may have interest in,” Nonis said. “But we’ll see. There’s a few players where we’ve kicked the tires, and we’ll see if there’s a fit. But by and large, what we have right now is what we’re going to start with.”
The Leafs just re-signed defenseman Cody Franson to a one-year contract on Monday and took care of some business in free agency by bringing back Leo Komarov and Matt Frattin and adding Stephane Robidas, Mike Santorelli, and Petri Kontiola. They still have restricted free agents Jake Gardiner and James Reimer left to get new deals done with.
If there’s a player where there might be some action around it’s Reimer. He requested a trade after last season, but after the goalie market settled out early in free agency, there aren’t many options for him left unless he wants to be a backup.
Essentially, the Leafs are bringing back a team that finished 12th in the Eastern Conference last season. At least being in the East gives them a puncher’s chance.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)