Jul 22, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs didn’t exactly blow anyone’s doors off in free agency this summer and for some fans, that might be a good thing. One thing they shouldn’t expect are any further moves.
Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis talked about the team’s less-than exciting offseason says what you see is what you get as Sean Fitz-Gerald of The National Post shared.
“There’s still a couple little pieces there that we may have interest in,” Nonis said. “But we’ll see. There’s a few players where we’ve kicked the tires, and we’ll see if there’s a fit. But by and large, what we have right now is what we’re going to start with.”
The Leafs just re-signed defenseman Cody Franson to a one-year contract on Monday and took care of some business in free agency by bringing back Leo Komarov and Matt Frattin and adding Stephane Robidas, Mike Santorelli, and Petri Kontiola. They still have restricted free agents Jake Gardiner and James Reimer left to get new deals done with.
If there’s a player where there might be some action around it’s Reimer. He requested a trade after last season, but after the goalie market settled out early in free agency, there aren’t many options for him left unless he wants to be a backup.
Essentially, the Leafs are bringing back a team that finished 12th in the Eastern Conference last season. At least being in the East gives them a puncher’s chance.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 21
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)