Jul 22, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
The Toronto Maple Leafs didn’t exactly blow anyone’s doors off in free agency this summer and for some fans, that might be a good thing. One thing they shouldn’t expect are any further moves.
Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis talked about the team’s less-than exciting offseason says what you see is what you get as Sean Fitz-Gerald of The National Post shared.
“There’s still a couple little pieces there that we may have interest in,” Nonis said. “But we’ll see. There’s a few players where we’ve kicked the tires, and we’ll see if there’s a fit. But by and large, what we have right now is what we’re going to start with.”
The Leafs just re-signed defenseman Cody Franson to a one-year contract on Monday and took care of some business in free agency by bringing back Leo Komarov and Matt Frattin and adding Stephane Robidas, Mike Santorelli, and Petri Kontiola. They still have restricted free agents Jake Gardiner and James Reimer left to get new deals done with.
If there’s a player where there might be some action around it’s Reimer. He requested a trade after last season, but after the goalie market settled out early in free agency, there aren’t many options for him left unless he wants to be a backup.
Essentially, the Leafs are bringing back a team that finished 12th in the Eastern Conference last season. At least being in the East gives them a puncher’s chance.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 24
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)