Jul 22, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs didn’t exactly blow anyone’s doors off in free agency this summer and for some fans, that might be a good thing. One thing they shouldn’t expect are any further moves.
Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis talked about the team’s less-than exciting offseason says what you see is what you get as Sean Fitz-Gerald of The National Post shared.
“There’s still a couple little pieces there that we may have interest in,” Nonis said. “But we’ll see. There’s a few players where we’ve kicked the tires, and we’ll see if there’s a fit. But by and large, what we have right now is what we’re going to start with.”
The Leafs just re-signed defenseman Cody Franson to a one-year contract on Monday and took care of some business in free agency by bringing back Leo Komarov and Matt Frattin and adding Stephane Robidas, Mike Santorelli, and Petri Kontiola. They still have restricted free agents Jake Gardiner and James Reimer left to get new deals done with.
If there’s a player where there might be some action around it’s Reimer. He requested a trade after last season, but after the goalie market settled out early in free agency, there aren’t many options for him left unless he wants to be a backup.
Essentially, the Leafs are bringing back a team that finished 12th in the Eastern Conference last season. At least being in the East gives them a puncher’s chance.
- Hitch needs ‘time to reflect’ before making decision on future 11
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 6
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 32
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 37
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 10
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 31
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)