Jul 22, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames avoided all salary arbitration headaches by locking Joe Colborne up to a two-year deal on Tuesday. Sportsnet’s Roger Millions reports that it’s worth $2.55 million overall ($1.275 million per season).
Colborne, 24, was part of the trade in which the Toronto Maple Leafs traded Tomas Kaberle to the Boston Bruins in Feb. 2011. He ended up playing 16 games spread over three seasons with the Maple Leafs, but this past season – his first with Calgary – was easily his most productive in the NHL. He scored 10 goals and 28 points in 80 games with the Flames.
He’s from the Calgary area, so playing for his hometown team must be quite a thrill. Here’s a little more about the big forward from SB Nation blog Matchsticks & Gasoline:
At 6’5″ and reportedly 220 lbs., Colborne is one of the biggest players on the Flames’ roster, but the 24-year-old is still learning how to use his size. It’s an asset that will come in handy assuming he continues to play on the right wing, a position the Flames are desperately lacking in, and one Colborne looked much better in when he switched.
Apparently he made some nice impressions last season:
This contract pushes the Flames over the salary cap floor, according to Cap Geek’s numbers. They still have a decision or two to make with restricted and/or unrestricted free agents, but it seems like much of their work is done this summer.
Apr 27, 2015, 10:17 PM EDT
An outstanding defensive performance by Washington.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:55 PM EDT
Some great individual performances propel Tampa Bay.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:36 PM EDT
Game 7 is one of those “let them play” games.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:02 PM EDT
No penalty on the play.
Apr 27, 2015, 8:23 PM EDT
Apr 27, 2015, 7:47 PM EDT
Tampa Bay needed a strong start like this.
Apr 27, 2015, 7:22 PM EDT
Just one appearance in this series.
Apr 27, 2015, 6:54 PM EDT
Tough to argue with this two-way trio.
Apr 27, 2015, 6:16 PM EDT
One Game 7 and one team hoping to force another.
Apr 27, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
Tom Stillman did say “I’m sure there’ll be changes” following another first-round playoff defeat.
Apr 27, 2015, 4:56 PM EDT
Expected to make full recovery within 4-6 weeks.
Apr 27, 2015, 4:11 PM EDT
Former Maple Leaf and Red Wing appeared in over 1,200 career games, winning five Stanley Cups.
Apr 27, 2015, 3:11 PM EDT
Kevin Bieksa and Dan Hamhuis were each asked if they’d be willing to waive their no-trade clauses.
Apr 27, 2015, 2:47 PM EDT
Flames head coach Bob Hartley confirmed the decision on Monday.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Tournament will be a big one for the Flyers forward.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:17 PM EDT
Thus ending the Scott Darling era… for now.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
New building could open by the fall of 2017.
Apr 27, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
Diminutive forward left Game 5 after taking a shot to the helmet.
Apr 27, 2015, 12:31 PM EDT
Tournament begins May 1 in the Czech Republic.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:59 AM EDT
Interference aside, Tampa Bay has had no shortage of power-play time.
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 1
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 3
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 23
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 15
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 75
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 40
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)