Jul 22, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames avoided all salary arbitration headaches by locking Joe Colborne up to a two-year deal on Tuesday. Sportsnet’s Roger Millions reports that it’s worth $2.55 million overall ($1.275 million per season).
Colborne, 24, was part of the trade in which the Toronto Maple Leafs traded Tomas Kaberle to the Boston Bruins in Feb. 2011. He ended up playing 16 games spread over three seasons with the Maple Leafs, but this past season – his first with Calgary – was easily his most productive in the NHL. He scored 10 goals and 28 points in 80 games with the Flames.
He’s from the Calgary area, so playing for his hometown team must be quite a thrill. Here’s a little more about the big forward from SB Nation blog Matchsticks & Gasoline:
At 6’5″ and reportedly 220 lbs., Colborne is one of the biggest players on the Flames’ roster, but the 24-year-old is still learning how to use his size. It’s an asset that will come in handy assuming he continues to play on the right wing, a position the Flames are desperately lacking in, and one Colborne looked much better in when he switched.
Apparently he made some nice impressions last season:
This contract pushes the Flames over the salary cap floor, according to Cap Geek’s numbers. They still have a decision or two to make with restricted and/or unrestricted free agents, but it seems like much of their work is done this summer.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 0
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 31
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)