Jul 22, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
Before the San Jose Sharks did it in the 2014 playoffs, the last NHL team to blow a 3-0 series lead, the 2010 Boston Bruins, went on to win the Stanley Cup the following year.
Logan Couture is hoping the Sharks can do in 2015 what the B’s did in 2011.
“Obviously it was tough, the way we finished last year, but I’m really hoping this summer guys build off it and come back a lot stronger, a lot hungrier,” Couture told Sportsnet 590 The Fan today. “It’s probably the toughest loss I’ve been through… It was pretty devastating. It’s really stuck with me the whole summer.”
Couture also went to bat for Joe Thornton, saying the Sharks’ captain “doesn’t deserve the heat that he’s taken” in the wake of San Jose’s most recent, and most painful, postseason disappointment.
San Jose kicks off the 2014-15 regular season on Oct. 8 in Los Angeles, where the Kings — the team that fought back to eliminate the Sharks — will raise their second Stanley Cup banner in three years (on NBCSN).
- Video: Flames stun Ducks in OT to get back in the series 6
- Video: Controversial no-goal call on Flames 9
- Video: Crawford, Kane help Blackhawks push Wild to brink of elimination 48
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Prust apologizes for all the stuff he said about referee Watson 49
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 25
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 52
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 66
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (79)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)