Jul 22, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
From the Arizona Republic:
Glendale Mayor Jerry Weiers on Monday asked the state attorney general to investigate a previously undisclosed meeting of City Council members and an Arizona Coyotes attorney last June, days before the council approved a $225 million agreement with the team.
Weiers, who voted against the deal that kept the hockey team in Glendale, said he believes the meeting violated the Arizona’s Open Meeting Law and revealed key information to the Coyotes about the city’s negotiating position.
Violations of the Open Meeting Law can rescind actions taken by elected officials, which could potentially void Glendale’s deal with the team, which was then called the Phoenix Coyotes.
So, yeah, this old story again. It’s not clear how seriously the Coyotes’ arena deal is threatened by this latest development, but the newspaper says it’s obtained an email between council members Gary Sherwood and Manny Martinez that may support Weiers’ assertion that there’s been a “clear violation” of the law.
Oh, and the fact the email reportedly ended with “Manny, please delete this email after you’ve read it” doesn’t look great either.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 0
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 7
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 10
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)