Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M

Jul 22, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT

David Booth Getty Images

On the same Tuesday that they hired what many believed to be a more stats-leaning assistant GM in Kyle Dubas, the Toronto Maple Leafs signed a guy who looks better as the stats become more detailed in David Booth. The team announced a one-year deal with Booth. It’s worth $1.1 million according to various sources including the Globe & Mail’s James Mirtle.

As Jason Brough details here, there were plenty of low moments for Booth once he was traded from the Florida Panthers to the Vancouver Canucks, who bought him out this summer. Still, that same post justifiably points out some bad luck on his part (and some promising possession stats that could point to a rebound).

While this seems like a sign of a breath of fresh air to some, it actually has some parallels with last summer. Much like in the 2013 offseason, the Maple Leafs grab a struggling-yet-promising Canucks forward (Mason Raymond now, Booth then) to a one-year deal that could present a solid return on a low risk-proposition.

It’s an interesting acquisition either way, but it is kind of amusing to look at the signing of the 29-year-old winger through the context of today’s other Maple Leafs decision:

Really, it’s that or hunting jokes on Tuesday.

1. jpelle82 - Jul 22, 2014 at 4:04 PM

guess they changed their mind….

• dueman - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:09 AM

I’m guessing that you didn’t actually read that story, because if you did, you might have caught this quote (which by the way, was the entire third paragraph)

“There’s still a couple little pieces there that we may have interest in,” Nonis said. “But we’ll see. There’s a few players where we’ve kicked the tires, and we’ll see if there’s a fit. But by and large, what we have right now is what we’re going to start with.”

I guess that they are really just doing exactly what they said…

• kaptaanamerica - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:32 AM

No nuts is grabbing all the Canucks cast offs issues of thinking for himself. Funny how all the leaf’s fans cut down the Nux but then praise the signing off ex Canucks… Btw Booth had plenty of opportunity to produce but all he did was create chances with no finish. Unless there’s a finisher playing with him nothing will happen…

2. leepetertk - Jul 22, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Booth’s fancy stats were always really good in Vancouver. He and his line carried possession and generated shots. But his production fell completely off the map long before the Canucks did. There was always pressure on him to score in Vancouver. I’d be interested where Booth is utilized. Perhaps with less pressure to produce and become a depth forward he can succeed at zone starts in the D-zone.

3. billiam55 - Jul 22, 2014 at 4:05 PM

good signing for the leafs.

4. withseidelinn - Jul 22, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Don’t mind it, but only if they kept the cap hit below $1.5m

• mykem07 - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:51 PM

Its $1.1 million, so its all good.

5. flyerspsu - Jul 22, 2014 at 4:10 PM

good signing assuming its for a low amount, was hoping the Flyers would sign him

6. alliceishome - Jul 22, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Great signing at that cost, plus his previous success on a line with Santorelli

7. thesportsjudge - Jul 22, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Anyone else finding humor in these one year veteran deals this offseason? First few(I forget who) were 1 year 1 mil, then it was (Ribiero?) 1 year 1.05mil(I think) and now it is this guy 1 year 1.1 mil.

• kyegrace - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:21 PM

• thesportsjudge - Jul 22, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Okay, I guess I should have used the term “irony.”

• flyerspsu - Jul 22, 2014 at 8:20 PM

“Irony” would make even less sense

• i1theinternet - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:14 PM

nope. not that, either:

• thesportsjudge - Jul 23, 2014 at 1:20 PM

Darn you! I put a curse on you! Never mind, I will just admit defeat.

• thesportsjudge - Jul 23, 2014 at 1:23 PM

Just to explain the original intent(for my sake), I found it interesting(?) that the value of the 1 year deals were kind of 1-upping the previous one.

8. Hard to BeLeaf - Jul 22, 2014 at 7:17 PM

Low risk move for that price, but I don’t like that it takes a potential roster spot away from the young guys. I was hoping they’d leave roster spots available to prospects to get a shot. Seems like the same mistake the team makes every offseason with the bottom two lines.

9. dolphincult - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:29 PM

29 y.o free agent? I guess the leafs think they are close to winning or the farm is truly empty

• dueman - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:15 AM

That’s a really, um, strange comment…It really makes zero sense.

10. blomfeld - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:34 PM

“David Booth equals Charles Manson”

So said a friend of mine earlier today here in Vancouver upon hearing the news that David Booth is now headed to Toronto (ie: my friend is animal lover like me and she’s also a board member of the BCSPCA). And though her comparison may have been a bit harsh, I did nonetheless concur with her that if nothing else, at least now this cowardly ‘mass murderer’ of defenseless four-legged friends is finally ‘gone’ from the pristine wilds of British Columbia … “let him ply his ‘wickedness’ in the forests of Ontario” said my friend.

Regardless, in terms of hockey Booth brings positively nothing to the ‘failed’ enterprise otherwise known as the Toronto Maple Leafs. In fact I say ‘to hell’ with his artificial numbers playing down there previously in the tropics. He’s had his chance already here in Canada on the ‘real’ stage … and he ‘disappointed’ to no end !

ps: friends, that ‘hot’ number returned to my store today, just like I knew she would ! :)

• dueman - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:21 AM

What happened to you Blom? Your posts used to be somewhat amusing, and at the very least light hearted. Lately, you’ve just been mean, and ornery, writing nothing but hateful stuff directed at almost every team…Cheer up dude!

• blomfeld - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:14 AM

FU Dueman !!!

• thesheabutterfactory - Jul 23, 2014 at 1:53 AM

I’m curious, what does your store sell, blomfeld?

• blomfeld - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:16 AM

friend … we offer an ‘assortment’ of fine wares, with an emphasis on gardening and outdoor enjoyment ! :)

• Hard to BeLeaf - Jul 27, 2014 at 3:51 PM

No wonder you have no clue about hockey. Stick to gardening there, frodo.

11. dumbassgreg - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:57 PM

would rather sign peter Mueller. watch him put numbers this year. he is next yearalexander semin or mason Raymond. someone ie islanders or Edmonton will over pay lmao.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches