Jul 22, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
On the same Tuesday that they hired what many believed to be a more stats-leaning assistant GM in Kyle Dubas, the Toronto Maple Leafs signed a guy who looks better as the stats become more detailed in David Booth. The team announced a one-year deal with Booth. It’s worth $1.1 million according to various sources including the Globe & Mail’s James Mirtle.
As Jason Brough details here, there were plenty of low moments for Booth once he was traded from the Florida Panthers to the Vancouver Canucks, who bought him out this summer. Still, that same post justifiably points out some bad luck on his part (and some promising possession stats that could point to a rebound).
While this seems like a sign of a breath of fresh air to some, it actually has some parallels with last summer. Much like in the 2013 offseason, the Maple Leafs grab a struggling-yet-promising Canucks forward (Mason Raymond now, Booth then) to a one-year deal that could present a solid return on a low risk-proposition.
It’s an interesting acquisition either way, but it is kind of amusing to look at the signing of the 29-year-old winger through the context of today’s other Maple Leafs decision:
Really, it’s that or hunting jokes on Tuesday.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)