Jul 22, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
On the same Tuesday that they hired what many believed to be a more stats-leaning assistant GM in Kyle Dubas, the Toronto Maple Leafs signed a guy who looks better as the stats become more detailed in David Booth. The team announced a one-year deal with Booth. It’s worth $1.1 million according to various sources including the Globe & Mail’s James Mirtle.
As Jason Brough details here, there were plenty of low moments for Booth once he was traded from the Florida Panthers to the Vancouver Canucks, who bought him out this summer. Still, that same post justifiably points out some bad luck on his part (and some promising possession stats that could point to a rebound).
While this seems like a sign of a breath of fresh air to some, it actually has some parallels with last summer. Much like in the 2013 offseason, the Maple Leafs grab a struggling-yet-promising Canucks forward (Mason Raymond now, Booth then) to a one-year deal that could present a solid return on a low risk-proposition.
It’s an interesting acquisition either way, but it is kind of amusing to look at the signing of the 29-year-old winger through the context of today’s other Maple Leafs decision:
Really, it’s that or hunting jokes on Tuesday.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)