Jul 21, 2014, 6:04 PM EDT
A new development in the on-going federal gambling investigation in Rochester. A law enforcement source tells News10NBC that former Amerk and Buffalo Sabres star Thomas Vanek is connected to the investigation tied to the Marina Restaurant and Bar in Charlotte.
The investigation is centered around the three owners of the Rochester, NY bar (see their website here). An earlier police raid resulted in the three being arrested and booked on multiple counts of gambling and money laundering charges.
Vanek spent one season with the Rochester Americans in 2004-05 before moving on to the Buffalo Sabres the following season.
While Vanek and his lawyers did not comment as they left court on Monday, his agent, Steve Bartlett, issued this statement on Vanek’s behalf:
Representatives of the U.S. Federal Government have asked for my cooperation in an investigation. I am not the subject of any investigation or prosecution. I will fully cooperate with the U.S. Federal authorities in their investigation or in any proceedings arising out of it.
According to News10NBC, Bartlett says Vanek was in town to discuss his role as a witness in a Federal case. It’s also worth noting that, in an article appearing on the AHL Grand Rapids website last year, Nathan Paetsch — Vanek’s former Sabres teammate from 2005-10 — is reportedly “involved in a partnership” that owns the Marina Restaurant and Bar. According to the restaurant’s Facebook page, Paetsch had the Calder Cup on display at the restaurant last July after capturing it as part of the Griffins.
Wild: “We are aware of Thomas Vanek’s cooperation with a federal investigation and have no further comment at this time.”
Daly: “We are looking into it, but have no comment at this time.”
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 3
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 18
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)