Jul 21, 2014, 6:04 PM EDT
A new development in the on-going federal gambling investigation in Rochester. A law enforcement source tells News10NBC that former Amerk and Buffalo Sabres star Thomas Vanek is connected to the investigation tied to the Marina Restaurant and Bar in Charlotte.
The investigation is centered around the three owners of the Rochester, NY bar (see their website here). An earlier police raid resulted in the three being arrested and booked on multiple counts of gambling and money laundering charges.
Vanek spent one season with the Rochester Americans in 2004-05 before moving on to the Buffalo Sabres the following season.
While Vanek and his lawyers did not comment as they left court on Monday, his agent, Steve Bartlett, issued this statement on Vanek’s behalf:
Representatives of the U.S. Federal Government have asked for my cooperation in an investigation. I am not the subject of any investigation or prosecution. I will fully cooperate with the U.S. Federal authorities in their investigation or in any proceedings arising out of it.
According to News10NBC, Bartlett says Vanek was in town to discuss his role as a witness in a Federal case. It’s also worth noting that, in an article appearing on the AHL Grand Rapids website last year, Nathan Paetsch — Vanek’s former Sabres teammate from 2005-10 — is reportedly “involved in a partnership” that owns the Marina Restaurant and Bar. According to the restaurant’s Facebook page, Paetsch had the Calder Cup on display at the restaurant last July after capturing it as part of the Griffins.
Wild: “We are aware of Thomas Vanek’s cooperation with a federal investigation and have no further comment at this time.”
Daly: “We are looking into it, but have no comment at this time.”
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 17
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)