Jul 21, 2014, 6:04 PM EDT
A new development in the on-going federal gambling investigation in Rochester. A law enforcement source tells News10NBC that former Amerk and Buffalo Sabres star Thomas Vanek is connected to the investigation tied to the Marina Restaurant and Bar in Charlotte.
The investigation is centered around the three owners of the Rochester, NY bar (see their website here). An earlier police raid resulted in the three being arrested and booked on multiple counts of gambling and money laundering charges.
Vanek spent one season with the Rochester Americans in 2004-05 before moving on to the Buffalo Sabres the following season.
While Vanek and his lawyers did not comment as they left court on Monday, his agent, Steve Bartlett, issued this statement on Vanek’s behalf:
Representatives of the U.S. Federal Government have asked for my cooperation in an investigation. I am not the subject of any investigation or prosecution. I will fully cooperate with the U.S. Federal authorities in their investigation or in any proceedings arising out of it.
According to News10NBC, Bartlett says Vanek was in town to discuss his role as a witness in a Federal case. It’s also worth noting that, in an article appearing on the AHL Grand Rapids website last year, Nathan Paetsch — Vanek’s former Sabres teammate from 2005-10 — is reportedly “involved in a partnership” that owns the Marina Restaurant and Bar. According to the restaurant’s Facebook page, Paetsch had the Calder Cup on display at the restaurant last July after capturing it as part of the Griffins.
Wild: “We are aware of Thomas Vanek’s cooperation with a federal investigation and have no further comment at this time.”
Daly: “We are looking into it, but have no comment at this time.”
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)