Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off

Jul 21, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT

Nearly 18 months after getting engaged, Washington Capitals captain Alexander Ovechkin and tennis pro Maria Kirilenko have broken up.

From the Washington Post:

One of D.C.’s great power couples is no more. The press service of the Russian Tennis Federation announced Sunday that Capitals star Alex Ovechkin and Russian tennis pro Maria Kirilenko have broken off their engagement. R-Sport reported the sad news with a quote from Kirilenko.

“I have decided to terminate the engagement,” she said. ” There are many reasons, but I do not want to go into details. I’ll say one thing: our relationship completed, but I respect Sasha as a person and athlete and I sincerely wish him continued athletic success. … At this moment, I’m concentrating on getting prepared for the nearest tournament. And I’m hoping that soon I’ll make my fans happy with news not only about my personal life, but also about my sports achievement.”

Kirilenko retweeted a link to the article on Monday.

The tweet:

In December of 2012, Ovechkin announced the two had gotten engaged just a few months after their relationship became tabloid fodder during the London Olympics. Ovechkin attended a number of Kirilenko’s matches during the games, where she went on to win a bronze medal in women’s doubles with Nadia Petrova.

According to AP, Ovechkin recently faced questions about the status of their relationship after he failed to accompany Kirilenko to Wimbledon in June.

Latest Posts
  1. Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL

Oct 24, 2014, 5:47 PM EDT

Washington Capitals v Philadelphia Flyers Getty Images

Highly-touted rearguard on his way to the bigs.

2. With 3-on-3 overtime, only two out of 16 AHL games have gone to shootout

Oct 24, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT

AHLlogo

Hey, maybe the NHL should try 3-on-3 overtime.

3. BizNasty signs with the Devils (the ones in Wales)

Oct 24, 2014, 3:55 PM EDT

Paul Bissonnette Getty Images

Returns to the Cardiff team he played for during the lockout.

4. Goalie nods: Gibson returns for Anaheim

Oct 24, 2014, 3:32 PM EDT

John Gibson Getty Images

All the news and notes from the blue paint…

5. Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’

Oct 24, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT

Alex Ovechkin Getty Images

“Anytime you go personal with family…to me, that’s very disrespectful to the player and our profession.”

6. Roy ‘not nervous about Xs and Os,’ says slumping Avs need to be better individually

Oct 24, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT

Patrick Roy Patrick Roy

“Everybody understands the system, everybody knows what we expect.”

7. Hextall: ‘There’s not a lot out there’ to bolster depleted Flyers defense

Oct 24, 2014, 2:08 PM EDT

Flyers Draft Hockey AP

“We’ve got to do our research here and come up with the best solution we can.”

8. Dallas getting greener on D, but Ruff says issues are on him

Oct 24, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT

Lindy Ruff Lindy Ruff

“I’m going to focus on the good and try to clean up the bad parts. That’s my job.”

9. Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks

Oct 24, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT

Boston Bruins v Buffalo Sabres Getty Images

Click to see Boston’s schedule through the end of November.

10. Video: Hitch hammers the Blues: ‘This is a wake-up call’

Oct 24, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT

St. Louis Blues v Chicago Blackhawks - Game Six Getty Images

“We’ve given up more odd-man rushes in six hockey games than we did in two months last year.”

11. Report: Granlund extension in the works

Oct 24, 2014, 9:06 AM EDT

Mikael Granlund #64 of the Minnesota Wild skates against the Anaheim Ducks at Honda Center on February 1, 2013 in Anaheim, California.
(January 31, 2013 - Source: Jeff Gross/Getty Images North America) Getty Images

The Wild center becomes a restricted free agent after this season.

12. PHT Morning Skate: Ovechkin has a mishap while curling

Oct 24, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-10-24 at 7.23.57 AM

With time off in Calgary, players participate in team building event.

Caps' 'culture change' proving positive