Jul 21, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
Nearly 18 months after getting engaged, Washington Capitals captain Alexander Ovechkin and tennis pro Maria Kirilenko have broken up.
One of D.C.’s great power couples is no more. The press service of the Russian Tennis Federation announced Sunday that Capitals star Alex Ovechkin and Russian tennis pro Maria Kirilenko have broken off their engagement. R-Sport reported the sad news with a quote from Kirilenko.
“I have decided to terminate the engagement,” she said. ” There are many reasons, but I do not want to go into details. I’ll say one thing: our relationship completed, but I respect Sasha as a person and athlete and I sincerely wish him continued athletic success. … At this moment, I’m concentrating on getting prepared for the nearest tournament. And I’m hoping that soon I’ll make my fans happy with news not only about my personal life, but also about my sports achievement.”
Kirilenko retweeted a link to the article on Monday.
— Р-Спорт (@rsportru) July 21, 2014
In December of 2012, Ovechkin announced the two had gotten engaged just a few months after their relationship became tabloid fodder during the London Olympics. Ovechkin attended a number of Kirilenko’s matches during the games, where she went on to win a bronze medal in women’s doubles with Nadia Petrova.
According to AP, Ovechkin recently faced questions about the status of their relationship after he failed to accompany Kirilenko to Wimbledon in June.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 21
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)