Jul 21, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
Nearly 18 months after getting engaged, Washington Capitals captain Alexander Ovechkin and tennis pro Maria Kirilenko have broken up.
One of D.C.’s great power couples is no more. The press service of the Russian Tennis Federation announced Sunday that Capitals star Alex Ovechkin and Russian tennis pro Maria Kirilenko have broken off their engagement. R-Sport reported the sad news with a quote from Kirilenko.
“I have decided to terminate the engagement,” she said. ” There are many reasons, but I do not want to go into details. I’ll say one thing: our relationship completed, but I respect Sasha as a person and athlete and I sincerely wish him continued athletic success. … At this moment, I’m concentrating on getting prepared for the nearest tournament. And I’m hoping that soon I’ll make my fans happy with news not only about my personal life, but also about my sports achievement.”
Kirilenko retweeted a link to the article on Monday.
— Р-Спорт (@rsportru) July 21, 2014
In December of 2012, Ovechkin announced the two had gotten engaged just a few months after their relationship became tabloid fodder during the London Olympics. Ovechkin attended a number of Kirilenko’s matches during the games, where she went on to win a bronze medal in women’s doubles with Nadia Petrova.
According to AP, Ovechkin recently faced questions about the status of their relationship after he failed to accompany Kirilenko to Wimbledon in June.
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 1
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 4
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 10
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 24
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 63
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 91
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 19
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (91)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)