Jul 21, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
Nearly 18 months after getting engaged, Washington Capitals captain Alexander Ovechkin and tennis pro Maria Kirilenko have broken up.
One of D.C.’s great power couples is no more. The press service of the Russian Tennis Federation announced Sunday that Capitals star Alex Ovechkin and Russian tennis pro Maria Kirilenko have broken off their engagement. R-Sport reported the sad news with a quote from Kirilenko.
“I have decided to terminate the engagement,” she said. ” There are many reasons, but I do not want to go into details. I’ll say one thing: our relationship completed, but I respect Sasha as a person and athlete and I sincerely wish him continued athletic success. … At this moment, I’m concentrating on getting prepared for the nearest tournament. And I’m hoping that soon I’ll make my fans happy with news not only about my personal life, but also about my sports achievement.”
Kirilenko retweeted a link to the article on Monday.
— Р-Спорт (@rsportru) July 21, 2014
In December of 2012, Ovechkin announced the two had gotten engaged just a few months after their relationship became tabloid fodder during the London Olympics. Ovechkin attended a number of Kirilenko’s matches during the games, where she went on to win a bronze medal in women’s doubles with Nadia Petrova.
According to AP, Ovechkin recently faced questions about the status of their relationship after he failed to accompany Kirilenko to Wimbledon in June.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 12
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 15
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 14
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 91
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5