Jul 21, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
One of the more intriguing trades of the offseason saw somewhat-underrated forward P.A. Parenteau get traded from the Colorado Avalanche to the Montreal Canadiens for “clutch” but often-criticized forward Daniel Briere.
To a decent number of stats-leaning types (not meaning those who lean toward playoff scoring stats), it seemed like a landslide victory for the Canadiens.
Sometimes the numbers involved in a trade can obscure the human element. Like, say, when a head coach and a player simply don’t see eye-to-eye.
It seems like Parenteau and Patrick Roy got off on the wrong foot and never really recovered, according to what the 31-year-old forward told Le Journal de Montreal. To avoid browser translator headaches, the basic vibe was this: Parenteau felt like he was never really part of the plan in Colorado and saw a trade coming a mile away.
OK, full disclosure: it’s tough not to linger on the on-paper disparity between Parenteau and Briere a little bit. This post’s main image is perfect: Roy hovering unhappily over an equally or even more unhappy Parenteau (seen to the right of Nathan MacKinnon) all the way back in a preseason game.
Break things down from most perspectives and the advantage seems heavy for Parenteau; his possession stats are basically universally more promising and he scored more points (Parenteau collected 33 in 55 games) than Briere did in fewere opportunities (Briere scored 25 points in 69 games).
Of course, Briere’s playoff numbers give at least some credence to the belief that he might be a “big-game player” even as his overall game seems to wane at age 36.
One way or another, the Avalanche seem to be doing things their way. It remains to be seen if hindsight will prove that to be a wise direction.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
Both have one-year, two-way contracts.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT
And Zack Stortini has been placed on waivers.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:12 PM EDT
“You can tell a guy ‘don’t dive’, but even on our team we’ve seen a few of them.”
Oct 1, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT
Another veteran d-man, Nolan Yonkman, was also released.
Oct 1, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
“But we’ve talked and we’ll continue to talk about it.”
Oct 1, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
A rookie head coach, some significant roster turnover and the annual questions in goal.
Oct 1, 2014, 12:08 PM EDT
The second overall pick in the 2014 draft has gone pointless in three preseason games.
Oct 1, 2014, 11:54 AM EDT
Oct 1, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Pending RFA forward’s deal is up at the end of the season.
Oct 1, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
Alex Goligoski is the team’s No. 1 d-man. And that’s a concern.
Oct 1, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
“It was clicking on full cylinders there.”
Oct 1, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
One of them was rusty.
Oct 1, 2014, 9:03 AM EDT
He was a restricted free agent, but was still taking part in training camp.
Oct 1, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
No, this post doesn’t just include the word “everything.”
Oct 1, 2014, 7:55 AM EDT
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Oct 1, 2014, 12:00 AM EDT
Apparently they won’t hand him Cody Eakin’s two-year, $3.8 million deal.
Sep 30, 2014, 11:31 PM EDT
Here are some assorted goals for entertainment purposes.
Sep 30, 2014, 10:23 PM EDT
He’s reportedly asking for a hefty six or seven-year deal.
Sep 30, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT
Updated with GM Craig MacTavish’s comments.
Sep 30, 2014, 9:10 PM EDT
Buffalo was fearing a broken jaw, which would be even worse.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 2
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 2
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 3
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 6
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)