Jul 21, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
One of the more intriguing trades of the offseason saw somewhat-underrated forward P.A. Parenteau get traded from the Colorado Avalanche to the Montreal Canadiens for “clutch” but often-criticized forward Daniel Briere.
To a decent number of stats-leaning types (not meaning those who lean toward playoff scoring stats), it seemed like a landslide victory for the Canadiens.
Sometimes the numbers involved in a trade can obscure the human element. Like, say, when a head coach and a player simply don’t see eye-to-eye.
It seems like Parenteau and Patrick Roy got off on the wrong foot and never really recovered, according to what the 31-year-old forward told Le Journal de Montreal. To avoid browser translator headaches, the basic vibe was this: Parenteau felt like he was never really part of the plan in Colorado and saw a trade coming a mile away.
OK, full disclosure: it’s tough not to linger on the on-paper disparity between Parenteau and Briere a little bit. This post’s main image is perfect: Roy hovering unhappily over an equally or even more unhappy Parenteau (seen to the right of Nathan MacKinnon) all the way back in a preseason game.
Break things down from most perspectives and the advantage seems heavy for Parenteau; his possession stats are basically universally more promising and he scored more points (Parenteau collected 33 in 55 games) than Briere did in fewere opportunities (Briere scored 25 points in 69 games).
Of course, Briere’s playoff numbers give at least some credence to the belief that he might be a “big-game player” even as his overall game seems to wane at age 36.
One way or another, the Avalanche seem to be doing things their way. It remains to be seen if hindsight will prove that to be a wise direction.
Aug 4, 2015, 10:08 AM EDT
Mike Babcock’s act is a tough one to follow.
Aug 4, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The book has closed on the Mike Babcock era.
Aug 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Aug 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
The squads will feature players that were part of either organization from 1996-2002
Aug 3, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
He’ll be fighting to be seen as the team’s third-string goaltender.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
He’s already improved the perception of the franchise, but will he have that kind of impact long-term?
Aug 3, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
He’ll have a tough time maintaining a top-six role though.
Aug 3, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
Despite all the splashy moves, patience likely will be needed.
Aug 3, 2015, 3:46 PM EDT
It’s another arbitration win for Ottawa.
Aug 3, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
Pondering a rebuilding process that took a leap.
Aug 3, 2015, 2:07 PM EDT
Perhaps you can broaden this to “keeping the puck out of their net.”
Aug 3, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
The league estimates such a process could cost about $13.5 million.
Aug 3, 2015, 11:57 AM EDT
In all likelihood Jack Eichel is going to make the team, but what about Buffalo’s other second overall pick?
Aug 3, 2015, 10:42 AM EDT
This is his chance to prove he’s a real No. 1 goalie.
Aug 3, 2015, 10:17 AM EDT
Ron DeGregorio rounded out the group.
Aug 3, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The worst should be behind them.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
Aug 2, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Is his poor Game 7 record reflective of anything?
Aug 2, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
In other words, how much longer will Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf, and Ryan Kesler stay at the top of their game?
Aug 2, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
His newly signed two-year deal is an opportunity for
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 4
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 26
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)