Jul 21, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
One of the more intriguing trades of the offseason saw somewhat-underrated forward P.A. Parenteau get traded from the Colorado Avalanche to the Montreal Canadiens for “clutch” but often-criticized forward Daniel Briere.
To a decent number of stats-leaning types (not meaning those who lean toward playoff scoring stats), it seemed like a landslide victory for the Canadiens.
Sometimes the numbers involved in a trade can obscure the human element. Like, say, when a head coach and a player simply don’t see eye-to-eye.
It seems like Parenteau and Patrick Roy got off on the wrong foot and never really recovered, according to what the 31-year-old forward told Le Journal de Montreal. To avoid browser translator headaches, the basic vibe was this: Parenteau felt like he was never really part of the plan in Colorado and saw a trade coming a mile away.
OK, full disclosure: it’s tough not to linger on the on-paper disparity between Parenteau and Briere a little bit. This post’s main image is perfect: Roy hovering unhappily over an equally or even more unhappy Parenteau (seen to the right of Nathan MacKinnon) all the way back in a preseason game.
Break things down from most perspectives and the advantage seems heavy for Parenteau; his possession stats are basically universally more promising and he scored more points (Parenteau collected 33 in 55 games) than Briere did in fewere opportunities (Briere scored 25 points in 69 games).
Of course, Briere’s playoff numbers give at least some credence to the belief that he might be a “big-game player” even as his overall game seems to wane at age 36.
One way or another, the Avalanche seem to be doing things their way. It remains to be seen if hindsight will prove that to be a wise direction.
May 28, 2015, 3:48 PM EDT
Meanwhile, in the West, Corey Crawford has the edge in big-game experience over Frederik Andersen.
May 28, 2015, 3:39 PM EDT
Was set to become a UFA on July 1.
May 28, 2015, 3:26 PM EDT
Bit of a theme developing here…
May 28, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
Pens to receive third-round pick in 2016 as compensation.
May 28, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT
After scoring 80 points in 56 games for Youngstown.
May 28, 2015, 2:08 PM EDT
Rangers goalie knows he can’t rely on history to defeat the Lightning.
May 28, 2015, 1:04 PM EDT
The former Penguins coach is still under contract to Pittsburgh.
May 28, 2015, 12:27 PM EDT
Former Preds forward, who played for Roy in junior, is currently with KHL club CSKA.
May 28, 2015, 12:22 PM EDT
Has spent the past three seasons coaching the Flyers’ AHL affiliate.
May 28, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT
Spent part of last season with the Bruins
May 28, 2015, 11:49 AM EDT
Which they lost by a score of 6-2.
May 28, 2015, 11:41 AM EDT
Which is next Wednesday.
May 28, 2015, 10:50 AM EDT
The former led Canada to gold at the most recent World Junior tourney.
May 28, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
He’s expected to be ready for the start of training camp.
May 28, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
Both forwards are New Jersey draft picks.
May 28, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
His contract will expire after 2015-16.
May 28, 2015, 8:15 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
May 27, 2015, 11:47 PM EDT
He wasn’t the only Anaheim player that deserved to be blamed tonight.
May 27, 2015, 11:01 PM EDT
Chicago endured Anaheim’s comeback attempt to win this one.
May 27, 2015, 10:29 PM EDT
The Ducks might have caught a break there.
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 12
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 5
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 51
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 3
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 48
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (54)