Jul 21, 2014, 12:26 PM EDT
The Rangers are offering a two year deal worth an average of $2.05 million — $1.9M in the first year and $2.2M in the second. In terms of single-year average salary, the two sides are only $750,000 apart (though, if Kreider was gunning for a two-year pact at $2.8M, the two sides would really be $1.5M apart.)
Regardless, this economic development has to be seen as a good one for the Blueshirts. They’re doing a bit of a salary cap dance lately and head into three crucial arbitration hearings — Kreider, Mats Zuccarello and Derick Brassard — with approximately $12 million in available space.
According to earlier reports, Zuccarello is aiming for a deal that pays $4.5M annually while Brassard wants even more, at $5.5M per.
As for Kreider — the club’s first-round pick (19th overall) at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft — he had a very good 2013-14 campaign and will get a raise from the $1.3M annual cap hit from his entry-evel deal. The 23-year-old had 17 points and finished 10th in Calder voting last season, then proceeded to score 13 points in 15 playoff games while averaging close to 17 minutes per night.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)