Jul 21, 2014, 12:26 PM EST
The Rangers are offering a two year deal worth an average of $2.05 million — $1.9M in the first year and $2.2M in the second. In terms of single-year average salary, the two sides are only $750,000 apart (though, if Kreider was gunning for a two-year pact at $2.8M, the two sides would really be $1.5M apart.)
Regardless, this economic development has to be seen as a good one for the Blueshirts. They’re doing a bit of a salary cap dance lately and head into three crucial arbitration hearings — Kreider, Mats Zuccarello and Derick Brassard — with approximately $12 million in available space.
According to earlier reports, Zuccarello is aiming for a deal that pays $4.5M annually while Brassard wants even more, at $5.5M per.
As for Kreider — the club’s first-round pick (19th overall) at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft — he had a very good 2013-14 campaign and will get a raise from the $1.3M annual cap hit from his entry-evel deal. The 23-year-old had 17 points and finished 10th in Calder voting last season, then proceeded to score 13 points in 15 playoff games while averaging close to 17 minutes per night.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)