Jul 21, 2014, 12:26 PM EST
The Rangers are offering a two year deal worth an average of $2.05 million — $1.9M in the first year and $2.2M in the second. In terms of single-year average salary, the two sides are only $750,000 apart (though, if Kreider was gunning for a two-year pact at $2.8M, the two sides would really be $1.5M apart.)
Regardless, this economic development has to be seen as a good one for the Blueshirts. They’re doing a bit of a salary cap dance lately and head into three crucial arbitration hearings — Kreider, Mats Zuccarello and Derick Brassard — with approximately $12 million in available space.
According to earlier reports, Zuccarello is aiming for a deal that pays $4.5M annually while Brassard wants even more, at $5.5M per.
As for Kreider — the club’s first-round pick (19th overall) at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft — he had a very good 2013-14 campaign and will get a raise from the $1.3M annual cap hit from his entry-evel deal. The 23-year-old had 17 points and finished 10th in Calder voting last season, then proceeded to score 13 points in 15 playoff games while averaging close to 17 minutes per night.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)