Jul 20, 2014, 9:00 PM EST
After the breakthrough 2013-14 season, the Colorado Avalanche saw younger/prime-year players leave town in favor of grizzled veterans, including Jarome Iginla.
In case there was an impression that was a mere coincidence, Avs exec Joe Sakic made it clear how important Iginla’s experience is while discussing the move with CBS Denver.
“We’ve got two good lines that we feel like he’ll complement either one — whichever one (Head Coach Patrick Roy) wants to put him with,” Sakic said. “And really with that power play and in front of the net he’s still got a great shot. And that leadership — you can’t have enough leadership in the dressing room and he’s definitely going to bring that.”
Iginla may very well provide the most value if he gets high-quality linemates. Sportsnet’s Tyler Dellow provides an interesting take that Iginla might need someone to serve as his “legs,” which may or may not be a realistic goal in Colorado.
Generalized case for that working out: the Avalanche still boast a dazzling array of young forwards who can help Iginla play to his strengths.
Generalized case against: Colorado wasn’t a strong possession team last season and may very well decline in 2014-15, potentially exposing Iginla.
It really is difficult to ignore the age shift in Colorado. Iginla, 37, comes in via free agency while Paul Stastny, 28, leaves town. They traded 31-year-old forward P.A. Parenteau for 36-year-old Daniel Briere and gave up some assets for 34-year-old blueliner Brad Stuart.
Teams generally load up on veterans when they expect to be contenders, so Sakic & Co. seem to be making that statement. For many, the success of that plan might align with Iginla’s highs and lows.
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner)
Mar 5, 2015, 2:12 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 5, 2015, 2:05 PM EST
“We only have 19 games left and we have to be winning and getting points.”
Mar 5, 2015, 1:30 PM EST
Mar 5, 2015, 1:20 PM EST
Calgary takes on Boston tonight at TD Garden.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:34 PM EST
Huge blow to their slim playoff chances.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:33 PM EST
Will take the pre-game skate to determine if he can play.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:18 PM EST
That’d be Sens goalie Andrew Hammond.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:11 PM EST
Following an incident against Washington on Mar. 1.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:11 PM EST
Up to 107 points in just 40 games.
Mar 5, 2015, 11:29 AM EST
Florida takes on Dallas tonight as the fight for the playoffs continues.
Mar 5, 2015, 9:46 AM EST
May not be a good sign regarding Michael Latta.
Mar 5, 2015, 9:18 AM EST
J.T. Brown is banged up.
Mar 5, 2015, 8:35 AM EST
Mar 5, 2015, 1:47 AM EST
Four straight wins for Anaheim.
Mar 5, 2015, 1:04 AM EST
Fighting for tops in the Metropolitan Division.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:19 AM EST
What a roll he and the Sens are on.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:36 PM EST
He’s been consistently putting the puck in the net at the NHL level since 1996.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:06 PM EST
What better way to make an impression on new teammates.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:40 PM EST
Mar 4, 2015, 9:49 PM EST
Big Buff out could be a Big Loss for Winnipeg.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 7
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 4
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)