Jul 20, 2014, 9:00 PM EST
After the breakthrough 2013-14 season, the Colorado Avalanche saw younger/prime-year players leave town in favor of grizzled veterans, including Jarome Iginla.
In case there was an impression that was a mere coincidence, Avs exec Joe Sakic made it clear how important Iginla’s experience is while discussing the move with CBS Denver.
“We’ve got two good lines that we feel like he’ll complement either one — whichever one (Head Coach Patrick Roy) wants to put him with,” Sakic said. “And really with that power play and in front of the net he’s still got a great shot. And that leadership — you can’t have enough leadership in the dressing room and he’s definitely going to bring that.”
Iginla may very well provide the most value if he gets high-quality linemates. Sportsnet’s Tyler Dellow provides an interesting take that Iginla might need someone to serve as his “legs,” which may or may not be a realistic goal in Colorado.
Generalized case for that working out: the Avalanche still boast a dazzling array of young forwards who can help Iginla play to his strengths.
Generalized case against: Colorado wasn’t a strong possession team last season and may very well decline in 2014-15, potentially exposing Iginla.
It really is difficult to ignore the age shift in Colorado. Iginla, 37, comes in via free agency while Paul Stastny, 28, leaves town. They traded 31-year-old forward P.A. Parenteau for 36-year-old Daniel Briere and gave up some assets for 34-year-old blueliner Brad Stuart.
Teams generally load up on veterans when they expect to be contenders, so Sakic & Co. seem to be making that statement. For many, the success of that plan might align with Iginla’s highs and lows.
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner)
Jan 27, 2015, 1:35 AM EST
He’ll likely start Tuesday paired with Dan Hamhuis.
Jan 27, 2015, 12:30 AM EST
Latvia could soon have another NHLer to cheer for.
Jan 26, 2015, 11:30 PM EST
The Isles have won both meetings this season.
Jan 26, 2015, 10:25 PM EST
He’s missed 13 games recovering from surgery on his fractured left wrist.
Jan 26, 2015, 9:30 PM EST
Several players had to make alternate arrangements leaving the All-Star Game.
Jan 26, 2015, 8:35 PM EST
Expected to play Wednesday against the Leafs
Jan 26, 2015, 7:30 PM EST
He’s a repeat offender.
Jan 26, 2015, 7:10 PM EST
Teams have till noon eastern time Tuesday to place a claim on the forward.
Jan 26, 2015, 6:16 PM EST
The Avalanche are trying to claw their way into the playoffs.
Jan 26, 2015, 5:52 PM EST
Minnesota had three healthy goaltenders on its roster.
Jan 26, 2015, 4:59 PM EST
Who will play this week?
Jan 26, 2015, 4:22 PM EST
This might be the result of fighting in back-to-back games.
Jan 26, 2015, 3:31 PM EST
Will Mikhail Grabovski step up?
Jan 26, 2015, 3:12 PM EST
The post-All-Star Game portion of the season isn’t starting any better for Buffalo.
Jan 26, 2015, 2:21 PM EST
He’s been overseeing co-coaches Adam Oates and Scott Stevens.
Jan 26, 2015, 1:30 PM EST
He didn’t end up playing in the All-Star Game.
Jan 26, 2015, 12:31 PM EST
Remember, the club opted not to amnesty his contract last June.
Jan 26, 2015, 12:23 PM EST
Canucks will give Frank Corrado a chance to show what he can do.
Jan 26, 2015, 12:12 PM EST
Columbus’ star center is having a nice little run at the moment.
Jan 26, 2015, 12:05 PM EST
They also summoned Josh Anderson.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (117)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)