Jul 20, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
After the breakthrough 2013-14 season, the Colorado Avalanche saw younger/prime-year players leave town in favor of grizzled veterans, including Jarome Iginla.
In case there was an impression that was a mere coincidence, Avs exec Joe Sakic made it clear how important Iginla’s experience is while discussing the move with CBS Denver.
“We’ve got two good lines that we feel like he’ll complement either one — whichever one (Head Coach Patrick Roy) wants to put him with,” Sakic said. “And really with that power play and in front of the net he’s still got a great shot. And that leadership — you can’t have enough leadership in the dressing room and he’s definitely going to bring that.”
Iginla may very well provide the most value if he gets high-quality linemates. Sportsnet’s Tyler Dellow provides an interesting take that Iginla might need someone to serve as his “legs,” which may or may not be a realistic goal in Colorado.
Generalized case for that working out: the Avalanche still boast a dazzling array of young forwards who can help Iginla play to his strengths.
Generalized case against: Colorado wasn’t a strong possession team last season and may very well decline in 2014-15, potentially exposing Iginla.
It really is difficult to ignore the age shift in Colorado. Iginla, 37, comes in via free agency while Paul Stastny, 28, leaves town. They traded 31-year-old forward P.A. Parenteau for 36-year-old Daniel Briere and gave up some assets for 34-year-old blueliner Brad Stuart.
Teams generally load up on veterans when they expect to be contenders, so Sakic & Co. seem to be making that statement. For many, the success of that plan might align with Iginla’s highs and lows.
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner)
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)