Jul 20, 2014, 2:09 PM EST
The Dallas Stars are going to hope forward Antoine Roussel isn’t as much of an agitator in the court room as he is on the ice.
Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman reports Roussel has asked for $2.35 million in arbitration and the Stars have countered with $1.15 million. The 24-year-old Frenchman is coming off a two-year contract that paid him $1.225 million.
Roussel was a revelation for the Stars last season scoring 14 goals with 29 points and functioning as an instant irritant for opponents around the league. The 209 penalty minutes he racked up last season showed he’s got a bit of the Pat Verbeek-Brad Marchand kind of thing going for him. He’s also not afraid of dropping the gloves, even in the playoffs.
As with all potential arbitration cases, things can be settled before they head to court. The $1.2 million difference between the two sides indicates there’s a bit of ground to make up, but makes for a good potential spot halfway between demands for arbitrator. Regardless, Roussel is getting a raise out of it. Question is: How much?
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (147)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)