Jul 20, 2014, 2:09 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars are going to hope forward Antoine Roussel isn’t as much of an agitator in the court room as he is on the ice.
Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman reports Roussel has asked for $2.35 million in arbitration and the Stars have countered with $1.15 million. The 24-year-old Frenchman is coming off a two-year contract that paid him $1.225 million.
Roussel was a revelation for the Stars last season scoring 14 goals with 29 points and functioning as an instant irritant for opponents around the league. The 209 penalty minutes he racked up last season showed he’s got a bit of the Pat Verbeek-Brad Marchand kind of thing going for him. He’s also not afraid of dropping the gloves, even in the playoffs.
As with all potential arbitration cases, things can be settled before they head to court. The $1.2 million difference between the two sides indicates there’s a bit of ground to make up, but makes for a good potential spot halfway between demands for arbitrator. Regardless, Roussel is getting a raise out of it. Question is: How much?
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 65
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)