Jul 20, 2014, 6:08 PM EDT
There are a few things to note before anyone gets too excited, however. For one thing, it’s unclear how much more “significant progress” is needed. It’s also crucial to note that such good news is coming from Johansen’s representatives, while the Blue Jackets didn’t respond to the Dispatch’s requests for confirmation.
Even so, the report points to a very important area of progress. At first, the 21-year-old restricted free agent was very much against a shorter “bridge” contract, but now it sounds like his side is bending to the idea of a two or three-year deal.
Money might still be a sticking point between the two sides, but it makes sense that the Blue Jackets might balk at a longer term. They’d likely prefer to see Johansen replicate (or even top) his performance from 2013-14, as he saw a huge leap over his previous production.
Despite what might be occasionally icy talks, it seems clear that both sides want to get a deal done.
“Ryan wants to be a Blue Jacket and he wants to be in Columbus,” Johansen’s agent Kurt Overhardt said. “That has never been an issue in any of this. He loves it there.”
Overhardt notes that Johansen was very pleased that the time re-signed Brandon Dubinsky, as you can see from this cheeky tweet:
The fourth pick of the 2010 NHL Draft scored 63 points in 82 games and six points in as many playoff contests last season after only managing 33 points in his first 107 career NHL appearances. Considering that huge leap and his tantalizing potential, it’s a bit difficult to forecast what kind of deal is appropriate for both sides, especially since Johansen is an RFA.
Perhaps we’ll find out before training camp?
Apr 19, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Puck drop is at 3 p.m. ET
Apr 19, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
He has his second of these playoffs.
Apr 19, 2015, 1:36 PM EDT
Andrew Desjardins could also be in for Chicago.
Apr 19, 2015, 1:10 PM EDT
Was injured on a hit from Kyle Okposo.
Apr 19, 2015, 12:51 PM EDT
He missed the second game of the series with an upper body injury.
Apr 19, 2015, 11:35 AM EDT
Puck drop is at 12 p.m. ET on NBC.
Apr 19, 2015, 11:06 AM EDT
Neil replaces Chiasson on Ottawa’s fourth line.
Apr 19, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
He’s missed six games with a right hand injury.
Apr 19, 2015, 9:55 AM EDT
Changes in the crease the theme of the day.
Apr 19, 2015, 2:51 AM EDT
It will be interesting to see what happens as this series heads to Winnipeg.
Apr 19, 2015, 1:40 AM EDT
Series shifts back to Winnipeg.
Apr 19, 2015, 12:41 AM EDT
Had a dominant performance in Game 2.
Apr 18, 2015, 11:56 PM EDT
Anaheim’s veteran forward received a minor penalty on the play.
Apr 18, 2015, 11:13 PM EDT
“I think I bring a really good winning attitude and I have a lot to offer offensively.”
Apr 18, 2015, 11:09 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby scored twice and that helps.
Apr 18, 2015, 10:20 PM EDT
Had one goal in 19 playoff games prior to Saturday.
Apr 18, 2015, 9:25 PM EDT
These teams combined for eight shots in the opening period.
Apr 18, 2015, 9:08 PM EDT
Craig MacTavish has some decisions to make, now that he’s won the Connor McDavid sweepstakes.
Apr 18, 2015, 8:39 PM EDT
St. Louis with the win.
Apr 18, 2015, 8:26 PM EDT
Edmonton wins the Connor McDavid sweeps.
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 3
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 10
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 72
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 63
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 166
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (166)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)