Jul 20, 2014, 6:08 PM EDT
There are a few things to note before anyone gets too excited, however. For one thing, it’s unclear how much more “significant progress” is needed. It’s also crucial to note that such good news is coming from Johansen’s representatives, while the Blue Jackets didn’t respond to the Dispatch’s requests for confirmation.
Even so, the report points to a very important area of progress. At first, the 21-year-old restricted free agent was very much against a shorter “bridge” contract, but now it sounds like his side is bending to the idea of a two or three-year deal.
Money might still be a sticking point between the two sides, but it makes sense that the Blue Jackets might balk at a longer term. They’d likely prefer to see Johansen replicate (or even top) his performance from 2013-14, as he saw a huge leap over his previous production.
Despite what might be occasionally icy talks, it seems clear that both sides want to get a deal done.
“Ryan wants to be a Blue Jacket and he wants to be in Columbus,” Johansen’s agent Kurt Overhardt said. “That has never been an issue in any of this. He loves it there.”
Overhardt notes that Johansen was very pleased that the time re-signed Brandon Dubinsky, as you can see from this cheeky tweet:
The fourth pick of the 2010 NHL Draft scored 63 points in 82 games and six points in as many playoff contests last season after only managing 33 points in his first 107 career NHL appearances. Considering that huge leap and his tantalizing potential, it’s a bit difficult to forecast what kind of deal is appropriate for both sides, especially since Johansen is an RFA.
Perhaps we’ll find out before training camp?
May 22, 2015, 6:01 PM EDT
Will New York be able to contain Tampa Bay this time around?
May 22, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
“No one wants to back up. Everyone wants to play.”
May 22, 2015, 4:34 PM EDT
Not only did the Ducks block 27 shots last night, they clogged up the neutral zone too.
May 22, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
Can’t imagine Teuvo Teravainen was, either.
May 22, 2015, 2:24 PM EDT
Canucks GM witnessed the goalie get a shutout in the AHL playoffs.
May 22, 2015, 1:41 PM EDT
Coach Q: “He’ll need a few days out here. We’ll get an evaluation and go from there.”
May 22, 2015, 1:38 PM EDT
Son of ex-NHLer Brian is off to Boston University next year.
May 22, 2015, 1:05 PM EDT
“It’s been real special, to say the least.”
May 22, 2015, 12:47 PM EDT
The third ‘tender taken at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft had a rough first pro season in North America.
May 22, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
Finnish forward joined the organization last year after solid production in the SM-liiga.
May 22, 2015, 12:21 PM EDT
That’s him, with Vladimir Putin.
May 22, 2015, 12:03 PM EDT
No word on who’ll draw in as a replacement.
May 22, 2015, 11:40 AM EDT
No word yet if he’ll be able to play right away.
May 22, 2015, 11:15 AM EDT
We really need to get these combos better nicknames, though.
May 22, 2015, 11:03 AM EDT
The Rangers need The King to play like one tonight.
May 22, 2015, 10:25 AM EDT
He also reiterates that the salary cap will be about $71M.
May 22, 2015, 9:20 AM EDT
Almost always a good way to go.
May 22, 2015, 8:31 AM EDT
May 22, 2015, 1:30 AM EDT
Ducks trying to make life miserable for Chicago’s goalie.
May 22, 2015, 1:00 AM EDT
Game 4 goes Saturday in Chicago.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 25
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)