Jul 20, 2014, 6:08 PM EDT
There are a few things to note before anyone gets too excited, however. For one thing, it’s unclear how much more “significant progress” is needed. It’s also crucial to note that such good news is coming from Johansen’s representatives, while the Blue Jackets didn’t respond to the Dispatch’s requests for confirmation.
Even so, the report points to a very important area of progress. At first, the 21-year-old restricted free agent was very much against a shorter “bridge” contract, but now it sounds like his side is bending to the idea of a two or three-year deal.
Money might still be a sticking point between the two sides, but it makes sense that the Blue Jackets might balk at a longer term. They’d likely prefer to see Johansen replicate (or even top) his performance from 2013-14, as he saw a huge leap over his previous production.
Despite what might be occasionally icy talks, it seems clear that both sides want to get a deal done.
“Ryan wants to be a Blue Jacket and he wants to be in Columbus,” Johansen’s agent Kurt Overhardt said. “That has never been an issue in any of this. He loves it there.”
Overhardt notes that Johansen was very pleased that the time re-signed Brandon Dubinsky, as you can see from this cheeky tweet:
The fourth pick of the 2010 NHL Draft scored 63 points in 82 games and six points in as many playoff contests last season after only managing 33 points in his first 107 career NHL appearances. Considering that huge leap and his tantalizing potential, it’s a bit difficult to forecast what kind of deal is appropriate for both sides, especially since Johansen is an RFA.
Perhaps we’ll find out before training camp?
Sep 20, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
After playing in just 16 games in 2013-14, he’s looking to be a contributor this season.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
Undrafted defenseman looking to make an impression at camp.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets would settle for far less after he scored just 19 last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
The last thing he wants is to suffer a setback by rushing his recovery.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
That’s not the only summer statement he took exception to.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Bob Suter was a defenseman on the “Miracle on Ice” team.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT
That usually doesn’t end well, but this might be an exception.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
He suffered three concussions in under a year.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
It’s part of the reason why the defenseman is playing for Washington.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
He suffered a concussion last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:17 PM EDT
Greg Sherman stayed on as his assistant.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT
He’s not the only member of the Ducks that’s hurting.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Held out of Kings’ on-ice activities on Friday.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:06 PM EDT
“We’re a cap team now, despite us being in the bottom five of the league in ticket revenue.”
Sep 19, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Flyers captain currently being evaluated.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
“We have two NHL centermen right now,” said Dallas Eakins.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
Just like they did last year.
Sep 19, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
But most of them wouldn’t have gone public with the negotiations.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
What does his future hold in Calgary?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
Will the men have to face NHLers?
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 6
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 15
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)