Jul 20, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Saku Koivu’s time with the Anaheim Ducks is all but over and his NHL career might go along with it, but he still might be in line for one more big payday. At least, he could have a big one coming his way if his real estate expectations are realistic.
The Los Angeles Times reports that the 39-year-old put his Irvine, Calif. home up for sale for about $6.6 million. That would prove to be a nice profit, as he reportedly purchased the house for $4.975 million.
Here’s a description of the property from the Los Angeles Times, in case you have $6.6 million burning a hole in your (gigantic) pocket:
The Tuscan-style residence, combining formal living spaces and casual indoor-outdoor environments, features a fossilized stone and reclaimed brick exterior with antique roof tiles and five fireplaces salvaged from France. Clad in handsome beams and limestone, the nearly 7,400 square feet of living space includes a 1,500-bottle wine cellar, a gourmet kitchen, seven bedrooms and six full bathrooms.
Through telescoping walls of glass, interiors seamlessly transition onto a courtyard with a fireplace and a covered loggia of more than 1,000 square feet. An outdoor kitchen and a pool also reside on the half-acre grounds.
(For photos of the home, click here.)
Depending upon how well Koivu has been saving his money, he probably shouldn’t sweat the situation too much. Cap Geek estimates his career earnings at $53.36 million, and even if sometimes athlete earnings can be misleading, that’s a healthy amount of dough.
In other more modest NHL player real estate news, Jason Spezza apparently sold his Ottawa-area home for $1.7 million.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 91
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32