Jul 20, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Saku Koivu’s time with the Anaheim Ducks is all but over and his NHL career might go along with it, but he still might be in line for one more big payday. At least, he could have a big one coming his way if his real estate expectations are realistic.
The Los Angeles Times reports that the 39-year-old put his Irvine, Calif. home up for sale for about $6.6 million. That would prove to be a nice profit, as he reportedly purchased the house for $4.975 million.
Here’s a description of the property from the Los Angeles Times, in case you have $6.6 million burning a hole in your (gigantic) pocket:
The Tuscan-style residence, combining formal living spaces and casual indoor-outdoor environments, features a fossilized stone and reclaimed brick exterior with antique roof tiles and five fireplaces salvaged from France. Clad in handsome beams and limestone, the nearly 7,400 square feet of living space includes a 1,500-bottle wine cellar, a gourmet kitchen, seven bedrooms and six full bathrooms.
Through telescoping walls of glass, interiors seamlessly transition onto a courtyard with a fireplace and a covered loggia of more than 1,000 square feet. An outdoor kitchen and a pool also reside on the half-acre grounds.
(For photos of the home, click here.)
Depending upon how well Koivu has been saving his money, he probably shouldn’t sweat the situation too much. Cap Geek estimates his career earnings at $53.36 million, and even if sometimes athlete earnings can be misleading, that’s a healthy amount of dough.
In other more modest NHL player real estate news, Jason Spezza apparently sold his Ottawa-area home for $1.7 million.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)