Jul 20, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Saku Koivu’s time with the Anaheim Ducks is all but over and his NHL career might go along with it, but he still might be in line for one more big payday. At least, he could have a big one coming his way if his real estate expectations are realistic.
The Los Angeles Times reports that the 39-year-old put his Irvine, Calif. home up for sale for about $6.6 million. That would prove to be a nice profit, as he reportedly purchased the house for $4.975 million.
Here’s a description of the property from the Los Angeles Times, in case you have $6.6 million burning a hole in your (gigantic) pocket:
The Tuscan-style residence, combining formal living spaces and casual indoor-outdoor environments, features a fossilized stone and reclaimed brick exterior with antique roof tiles and five fireplaces salvaged from France. Clad in handsome beams and limestone, the nearly 7,400 square feet of living space includes a 1,500-bottle wine cellar, a gourmet kitchen, seven bedrooms and six full bathrooms.
Through telescoping walls of glass, interiors seamlessly transition onto a courtyard with a fireplace and a covered loggia of more than 1,000 square feet. An outdoor kitchen and a pool also reside on the half-acre grounds.
(For photos of the home, click here.)
Depending upon how well Koivu has been saving his money, he probably shouldn’t sweat the situation too much. Cap Geek estimates his career earnings at $53.36 million, and even if sometimes athlete earnings can be misleading, that’s a healthy amount of dough.
In other more modest NHL player real estate news, Jason Spezza apparently sold his Ottawa-area home for $1.7 million.
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 19
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)