Jul 20, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Saku Koivu’s time with the Anaheim Ducks is all but over and his NHL career might go along with it, but he still might be in line for one more big payday. At least, he could have a big one coming his way if his real estate expectations are realistic.
The Los Angeles Times reports that the 39-year-old put his Irvine, Calif. home up for sale for about $6.6 million. That would prove to be a nice profit, as he reportedly purchased the house for $4.975 million.
Here’s a description of the property from the Los Angeles Times, in case you have $6.6 million burning a hole in your (gigantic) pocket:
The Tuscan-style residence, combining formal living spaces and casual indoor-outdoor environments, features a fossilized stone and reclaimed brick exterior with antique roof tiles and five fireplaces salvaged from France. Clad in handsome beams and limestone, the nearly 7,400 square feet of living space includes a 1,500-bottle wine cellar, a gourmet kitchen, seven bedrooms and six full bathrooms.
Through telescoping walls of glass, interiors seamlessly transition onto a courtyard with a fireplace and a covered loggia of more than 1,000 square feet. An outdoor kitchen and a pool also reside on the half-acre grounds.
(For photos of the home, click here.)
Depending upon how well Koivu has been saving his money, he probably shouldn’t sweat the situation too much. Cap Geek estimates his career earnings at $53.36 million, and even if sometimes athlete earnings can be misleading, that’s a healthy amount of dough.
In other more modest NHL player real estate news, Jason Spezza apparently sold his Ottawa-area home for $1.7 million.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 22
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 28
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)