Jul 20, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Saku Koivu’s time with the Anaheim Ducks is all but over and his NHL career might go along with it, but he still might be in line for one more big payday. At least, he could have a big one coming his way if his real estate expectations are realistic.
The Los Angeles Times reports that the 39-year-old put his Irvine, Calif. home up for sale for about $6.6 million. That would prove to be a nice profit, as he reportedly purchased the house for $4.975 million.
Here’s a description of the property from the Los Angeles Times, in case you have $6.6 million burning a hole in your (gigantic) pocket:
The Tuscan-style residence, combining formal living spaces and casual indoor-outdoor environments, features a fossilized stone and reclaimed brick exterior with antique roof tiles and five fireplaces salvaged from France. Clad in handsome beams and limestone, the nearly 7,400 square feet of living space includes a 1,500-bottle wine cellar, a gourmet kitchen, seven bedrooms and six full bathrooms.
Through telescoping walls of glass, interiors seamlessly transition onto a courtyard with a fireplace and a covered loggia of more than 1,000 square feet. An outdoor kitchen and a pool also reside on the half-acre grounds.
(For photos of the home, click here.)
Depending upon how well Koivu has been saving his money, he probably shouldn’t sweat the situation too much. Cap Geek estimates his career earnings at $53.36 million, and even if sometimes athlete earnings can be misleading, that’s a healthy amount of dough.
In other more modest NHL player real estate news, Jason Spezza apparently sold his Ottawa-area home for $1.7 million.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)