Jul 20, 2014, 10:10 AM EDT
It looks like the Colorado Avalanche and restricted free agent Ryan O’Reilly are going to spend Wednesday in a Toronto courtroom.
When the Avalanche decided to take O’Reilly to arbitration, there was hope the two sides could get something done before heading to court. As Adrian Dater of The Denver Post writes, that doesn’t seem likely now and the relationship between the player and team seems even more fractured.
O’Reilly can decide to take a one or two-year reward in arbitration, should it get there and it likely will, and Dater says it’s likely he’ll go for a one-year reward. The reason for that is it’ll ensure that he’ll get a qualifying offer of around $6 million next summer should the Avalanche wind up going down this road with him one more time.
As for how things got to this point between the two sides, last year’s acrimony that led to the Calgary Flames signing O’Reilly to an offer sheet helped kick it off. The Avalanche’s inability to get a long-term deal done with O’Reilly in the meantime didn’t help and then they sealed things up by taking him to arbitration this summer.
O’Reilly is two years away from being an unrestricted free agency and if the relationship between the two sides is really that broken, it just seems like it’ll be a matter of time before they trade him. Things can change, but how Wednesday’s hearing (again, should it happen) will be telling.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)