Jul 20, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
To say David Clarkson‘s first season with the Toronto Maple Leafs was a bad one would be understating it.
He played in 60 games due in part to injury and suspensions, including a 10-game ban to start the season. When he did play, he wasn’t exactly a game-breaker as he had just five goals and 11 points.
As Luke Fox of Sportsnet shared, Clarkson isn’t hiding from how bad things went last season.
“It’s not a secret, right? At the end of the season, I obviously wasn’t happy,” Clarkson says. “No season goes the same, so you have to find a way to figure things out.”
Clarkson has a lot to figure out going into next season. He’s heading into the second season of his seven-year, $36.75 million deal with the Leafs and after all the comparisons to Wendel Clark, he’s going to need to actually show something to live up to some part of that.
After such a rocky start, just about any improvement will be seen as a positive thing, but the 30-year-old winger is going to need to do it consistently and better than he did last year. After scoring 30 goals for the New Jersey Devils three seasons ago, the ability to cash in around the net is there.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)