Jul 20, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
Pittsburgh Penguins 2014 first-rounder Kasperi Kapanen must clear a few significant hurdles to jump straight to the NHL. Even so, the rave reviews keep pouring in about a player who isn’t even 18 yet.
Penguins assistant GM Bill Guerin was the latest to rave about the 22nd overall pick as he made his first appearances at the Consol Energy Center as part of the team’s development camp.
“He’s even better than I thought he would be,” Guerin told NHL.com. “So I was very happy with him. He’s just high-end talent, high-end speed. He’s a very, very mature kid for his age. Obviously, having his father [Sami Kapanen] playing so many years in the NHL and playing with him and bringing him up that way, he’s already a pro.”
It could be a big few months for Kapanen.
He’ll turn 18 on July 23. Penguins training camp takes place in September. Making the opening night roster doesn’t guarantee him a full-time spot in 2014-15, especially since the team would have to mull over the pros and cons of burning a year off of his entry-level contract.
Kapanen admits that it’ll be tough to get ready for that training camp experience, as he noted multiple times that his legs hadn’t been totally with him at development camp in particular. That admission might just be more reason to get excited: Penguins brass are this ecstatic about Kapanen and they still may not have seen the best he has to offer yet.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)