Jul 20, 2014, 10:00 PM EST
Between the 2009 Winter Classic and last year’s Stadium Series win against the Pittsburgh Penguins, one can call the Chicago Blackhawks borderline “veterans” of outdoor games. They still seem pretty excited about facing the Washington Capitals in the 2015 Winter Classic, even if CSNChicago.com passes along word that they’re unsure it will top Chicago hosting an outdoor contest.
“It was fantastic, just being out there. Just arriving at the stadium and realizing what kind of weather it was going to be,” Niklas Hjalmarsson said. “During the game it was pretty funny actually, I thought it was hilarious to play like that. Tough to explain, but it’s surreal. Coming out before the game, seeing all the people there and all the snow coming down. That was definitely one of the most fun games I’ve ever played.”
“So I’m looking forward to next year, but I don’t think it’s going to be as fun as it was in Chicago. It’s going to be pretty tough to beat, but I’m looking forward to it.”
Consider the gauntlet thrown down on the Washington Capitals and D.C. in general to top that “snow globe” atmosphere in Chicago, then … or at least found some other way to add their own.
Either way, the hockey world will be watching.
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 15
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 16
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 7
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8