Jul 20, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Between the 2009 Winter Classic and last year’s Stadium Series win against the Pittsburgh Penguins, one can call the Chicago Blackhawks borderline “veterans” of outdoor games. They still seem pretty excited about facing the Washington Capitals in the 2015 Winter Classic, even if CSNChicago.com passes along word that they’re unsure it will top Chicago hosting an outdoor contest.
“It was fantastic, just being out there. Just arriving at the stadium and realizing what kind of weather it was going to be,” Niklas Hjalmarsson said. “During the game it was pretty funny actually, I thought it was hilarious to play like that. Tough to explain, but it’s surreal. Coming out before the game, seeing all the people there and all the snow coming down. That was definitely one of the most fun games I’ve ever played.”
“So I’m looking forward to next year, but I don’t think it’s going to be as fun as it was in Chicago. It’s going to be pretty tough to beat, but I’m looking forward to it.”
Consider the gauntlet thrown down on the Washington Capitals and D.C. in general to top that “snow globe” atmosphere in Chicago, then … or at least found some other way to add their own.
Either way, the hockey world will be watching.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 64
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50