Jul 20, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Between the 2009 Winter Classic and last year’s Stadium Series win against the Pittsburgh Penguins, one can call the Chicago Blackhawks borderline “veterans” of outdoor games. They still seem pretty excited about facing the Washington Capitals in the 2015 Winter Classic, even if CSNChicago.com passes along word that they’re unsure it will top Chicago hosting an outdoor contest.
“It was fantastic, just being out there. Just arriving at the stadium and realizing what kind of weather it was going to be,” Niklas Hjalmarsson said. “During the game it was pretty funny actually, I thought it was hilarious to play like that. Tough to explain, but it’s surreal. Coming out before the game, seeing all the people there and all the snow coming down. That was definitely one of the most fun games I’ve ever played.”
“So I’m looking forward to next year, but I don’t think it’s going to be as fun as it was in Chicago. It’s going to be pretty tough to beat, but I’m looking forward to it.”
Consider the gauntlet thrown down on the Washington Capitals and D.C. in general to top that “snow globe” atmosphere in Chicago, then … or at least found some other way to add their own.
Either way, the hockey world will be watching.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)