Jul 20, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Between the 2009 Winter Classic and last year’s Stadium Series win against the Pittsburgh Penguins, one can call the Chicago Blackhawks borderline “veterans” of outdoor games. They still seem pretty excited about facing the Washington Capitals in the 2015 Winter Classic, even if CSNChicago.com passes along word that they’re unsure it will top Chicago hosting an outdoor contest.
“It was fantastic, just being out there. Just arriving at the stadium and realizing what kind of weather it was going to be,” Niklas Hjalmarsson said. “During the game it was pretty funny actually, I thought it was hilarious to play like that. Tough to explain, but it’s surreal. Coming out before the game, seeing all the people there and all the snow coming down. That was definitely one of the most fun games I’ve ever played.”
“So I’m looking forward to next year, but I don’t think it’s going to be as fun as it was in Chicago. It’s going to be pretty tough to beat, but I’m looking forward to it.”
Consider the gauntlet thrown down on the Washington Capitals and D.C. in general to top that “snow globe” atmosphere in Chicago, then … or at least found some other way to add their own.
Either way, the hockey world will be watching.
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 4
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 30
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 21
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 32
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)