Jul 19, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
As much as the near-league-wide jealousy of the Chicago Blackhawks come from watching elite talents like Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane and Duncan Keith, there’s also that contingent that winces at the fact that they have up-and-comers like Brandon Saad commanding less than an $800K cap hit.
Of course, Saad faces a golden opportunity to make much more than that. His current deal expires after the 2014-15 season. While that uncertainty could stand as stressful, he seems pretty easy-going about it, at least if he’s being honest to CSNChicago.com.
“Obviously it would be nice to get it done and have that out of the way, I guess, instead of focusing it on the year. But if it doesn’t happen there’s not much you can do. You play the season,” Saad said. “Hopefully it happens during the year and, if not, next summer. So we still have quite a bit of time to get it done, and we’ll see when it happens.”
Saad will turn 22 early next season (Oct. 27), so he’ll be a restricted free agent for some time, limiting some of his leverage as far as this next contract is concerned.
Even so, he could really drive up his value with a strong 2014-15 campaign. Saad scored 19 goals and 47 points in 78 games last season and was even more impressive in the postseason, collecting 16 points in 19 playoff games. If he can stick on a line with Patrick Kane – certainly a possibility after all the promise seen with a combo alongside Andrew Shaw – he could really enjoy a breakthrough year.
Really, Saad might be wise to play through the season. After all, even Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman admitted that “we haven’t seen the best” of what he could do.
Bowman must have conflicting feelings about this situation. Watching Saad progress could be a thrill, yet with dual $10.5 million cap hits kicking in for Kane and Toews beginning in 2015-16, a big hike from Saad may really smart.
Then again, maybe it’s best just to follow Saad’s lead: “All that stuff will take care of itself.”
Oct 23, 2014, 2:13 AM EDT
Meanwhile, Buffalo scored!
Oct 23, 2014, 1:19 AM EDT
Pretty good chance for three straight.
Oct 23, 2014, 12:23 AM EDT
He was injured on Oct. 16.
Oct 22, 2014, 11:49 PM EDT
No. 8 was having a bit of a difficult night.
Oct 22, 2014, 11:25 PM EDT
Oct 22, 2014, 11:08 PM EDT
Big win for Philly after getting beat bad in Chicago on Tuesday.
Oct 22, 2014, 10:19 PM EDT
Last shift came in the first period.
Oct 22, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
Oct 22, 2014, 9:48 PM EDT
Little bit of history here.
Oct 22, 2014, 9:19 PM EDT
Milbury doesn’t understand why the Pens would extend him.
Oct 22, 2014, 8:32 PM EDT
Tremendous gesture from the Penguins organization.
Oct 22, 2014, 8:17 PM EDT
NHL Insider joined Kathryn Tappen live in studio.
Oct 22, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
Blueliner’s had zero luck in the health department.
Oct 22, 2014, 7:22 PM EDT
Two teams that, how should we say, care not for one another.
Oct 22, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
“We had no choice but to.”
Oct 22, 2014, 6:21 PM EDT
He won’t travel with the club for its upcoming three-game road swing through Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver.
Oct 22, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
Charles Wang remains in charge until then.
Oct 22, 2014, 5:22 PM EDT
Worth a reported $16 million.
Oct 22, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
Not clear yet if charges will be filed.
Oct 22, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
More tough luck.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 12
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)