Jul 19, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks lost to the Los Angeles Kings by the slimmest of margins in the 2014 Western Conference Final. If things had been different though and the Blackhawks had advanced, defenseman Johnny Oduya probably still wouldn’t have played in the finals.
Oduya revealed that he broke his foot when it was struck by the puck during the third period of Game 7 against the Kings, per CSN Chicago. He’s wearing a walking boot, but should be fine for training camp. The question is if he’ll still be wearing a Blachawks jersey at that point.
He’s been the subject of trade rumors and they’re likely to persist unless the Blackhawks find another way to deal with its cap situation. They’re currently exceeding the ceiling by a little over $2 million, according to Cap Geek.
“We’ll see what happens,” Oduya said. “I’m very, very happy to be here. This is the place where I really enjoy playing hockey, I’ve loved it here so far and I think I’ll like it in the future, too. If that’s not the case, I’ll go somewhere else.”
The 32-year-old comes with a roughly $3.4 million annual cap hit and is set to become an unrestricted free agent next summer.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 6
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 54
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 55
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 162
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 25
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 30
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (162)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)