Jul 19, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
The Chicago Blackhawks lost to the Los Angeles Kings by the slimmest of margins in the 2014 Western Conference Final. If things had been different though and the Blackhawks had advanced, defenseman Johnny Oduya probably still wouldn’t have played in the finals.
Oduya revealed that he broke his foot when it was struck by the puck during the third period of Game 7 against the Kings, per CSN Chicago. He’s wearing a walking boot, but should be fine for training camp. The question is if he’ll still be wearing a Blachawks jersey at that point.
He’s been the subject of trade rumors and they’re likely to persist unless the Blackhawks find another way to deal with its cap situation. They’re currently exceeding the ceiling by a little over $2 million, according to Cap Geek.
“We’ll see what happens,” Oduya said. “I’m very, very happy to be here. This is the place where I really enjoy playing hockey, I’ve loved it here so far and I think I’ll like it in the future, too. If that’s not the case, I’ll go somewhere else.”
The 32-year-old comes with a roughly $3.4 million annual cap hit and is set to become an unrestricted free agent next summer.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (57)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)