Jul 19, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
If Cody Franson is going to get a deal done with the Toronto Maple Leafs, both sides may want to avoid having an arbitrator figure it out.
Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman reported both sides have made their submissions for what they believe Franson should be paid next season and they’re a bit far apart. Franson asked for $4.2 million while the Leafs believe he should be paid $2 million. That difference of $2.2 million means a hearing could get ugly between both sides.
The trick with arbitration is that a judge can settle things by picking a number in the middle or set the reward for more than what Franson asked for. Since he’s a year away from becoming an unrestricted free agent, Franson can only get a one-year decision. According to CapGeek, the Maple Leafs are currently $11 million under the salary cap.
Last season, Franson had five goals and 33 points in 79 games. He had 29 points during the lockout-shortened 2013 season. The Leafs may want to settle this before it goes to court. Then again, they attempted to deal Franson to the Montreal Canadiens for Josh Gorges only to see Gorges enact his no-trade clause.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)