Jul 19, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
If you’re a Chicago Blackhawks fan that’s stressing out about how the team is above the salary cap at the moment, you can breathe a sigh of relief knowing GM Stan Bowman isn’t too worried right now.
Before the start of the Blackhawks convention in Chicago, Bowman addressed reporters regarding where the team is at following the bulk of free agency. According to CapGeek, the Blackhawks are currently over the salary cap by $2.2 million, but as Tracey Myers of CSNChicago.com shared, it’s not a problem for the team right now.
“A lot of things change between now and (October.) You have to display some patience,” Bowman said prior to the Blackhawks’ convention opening ceremonies. “A lot of things happen once camps open, both for us and for other teams, in terms of players maybe you expect to meet expectations don’t quite do it and certain teams are looking around trying to find players. I always think you’re always in a good position when you have a lot of established players. I think that’s better than the other way around.”
Teams don’t have to be cap compliant until the start of the regular season, so stressing out now doesn’t do a lot of good. All it takes is for an injury with another team during training camp to create a need elsewhere.
Only problem for Chicago is they’re one of four teams currently over the cap with Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, and Boston also joining them. They’ll have company when it comes to finding a partner to deal with to get under the limit.
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 10
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 11
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 38
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 95
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 26
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (96)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)