Jul 19, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
If you’re a Chicago Blackhawks fan that’s stressing out about how the team is above the salary cap at the moment, you can breathe a sigh of relief knowing GM Stan Bowman isn’t too worried right now.
Before the start of the Blackhawks convention in Chicago, Bowman addressed reporters regarding where the team is at following the bulk of free agency. According to CapGeek, the Blackhawks are currently over the salary cap by $2.2 million, but as Tracey Myers of CSNChicago.com shared, it’s not a problem for the team right now.
“A lot of things change between now and (October.) You have to display some patience,” Bowman said prior to the Blackhawks’ convention opening ceremonies. “A lot of things happen once camps open, both for us and for other teams, in terms of players maybe you expect to meet expectations don’t quite do it and certain teams are looking around trying to find players. I always think you’re always in a good position when you have a lot of established players. I think that’s better than the other way around.”
Teams don’t have to be cap compliant until the start of the regular season, so stressing out now doesn’t do a lot of good. All it takes is for an injury with another team during training camp to create a need elsewhere.
Only problem for Chicago is they’re one of four teams currently over the cap with Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, and Boston also joining them. They’ll have company when it comes to finding a partner to deal with to get under the limit.
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 3
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 2
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 14
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 33
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)