Jul 19, 2014, 11:10 AM EST
If you’re a Chicago Blackhawks fan that’s stressing out about how the team is above the salary cap at the moment, you can breathe a sigh of relief knowing GM Stan Bowman isn’t too worried right now.
Before the start of the Blackhawks convention in Chicago, Bowman addressed reporters regarding where the team is at following the bulk of free agency. According to CapGeek, the Blackhawks are currently over the salary cap by $2.2 million, but as Tracey Myers of CSNChicago.com shared, it’s not a problem for the team right now.
“A lot of things change between now and (October.) You have to display some patience,” Bowman said prior to the Blackhawks’ convention opening ceremonies. “A lot of things happen once camps open, both for us and for other teams, in terms of players maybe you expect to meet expectations don’t quite do it and certain teams are looking around trying to find players. I always think you’re always in a good position when you have a lot of established players. I think that’s better than the other way around.”
Teams don’t have to be cap compliant until the start of the regular season, so stressing out now doesn’t do a lot of good. All it takes is for an injury with another team during training camp to create a need elsewhere.
Only problem for Chicago is they’re one of four teams currently over the cap with Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, and Boston also joining them. They’ll have company when it comes to finding a partner to deal with to get under the limit.
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 2
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 7
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 77
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 42
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 77
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (80)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (77)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)