Jul 19, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
If you’re a Chicago Blackhawks fan that’s stressing out about how the team is above the salary cap at the moment, you can breathe a sigh of relief knowing GM Stan Bowman isn’t too worried right now.
Before the start of the Blackhawks convention in Chicago, Bowman addressed reporters regarding where the team is at following the bulk of free agency. According to CapGeek, the Blackhawks are currently over the salary cap by $2.2 million, but as Tracey Myers of CSNChicago.com shared, it’s not a problem for the team right now.
“A lot of things change between now and (October.) You have to display some patience,” Bowman said prior to the Blackhawks’ convention opening ceremonies. “A lot of things happen once camps open, both for us and for other teams, in terms of players maybe you expect to meet expectations don’t quite do it and certain teams are looking around trying to find players. I always think you’re always in a good position when you have a lot of established players. I think that’s better than the other way around.”
Teams don’t have to be cap compliant until the start of the regular season, so stressing out now doesn’t do a lot of good. All it takes is for an injury with another team during training camp to create a need elsewhere.
Only problem for Chicago is they’re one of four teams currently over the cap with Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, and Boston also joining them. They’ll have company when it comes to finding a partner to deal with to get under the limit.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)