Jul 19, 2014, 12:15 PM EST
There’s no doubt it’s been a rough year for Michael Del Zotto.
He wound up in Alain Vigneault’s doghouse with the New York Rangers and was traded to Nashville where he wound up being “not a fit” with the Predators according to GM David Poile.
Now we’re almost three weeks into free agency and Del Zotto has yet to land with a team. That’s serving only to be a motivation for the 24-year-old defenseman as Luke Fox of Sportsnet shared.
“I’m just waiting for the right opportunity to prove myself again,” Del Zotto says, “and prove everybody who’s doubted me wrong.”
Del Zotto said he’s been speaking to “a bunch” of teams lately and he’s eager to show his offensive game can be a valuable asset to whatever team wants him.
The offensive game is fine, but it’s the defensive side of things that he’ll have to show aren’t an issue. Going back to his time playing for John Tortorella in New York, that was one of the issues that had to be figured out. At his age it’s not as if he’s a lost cause, but with how things have gone in the past year, including Barry Trotz saying his game has “slipped”, he’s proving to be a hard sell.
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 1
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 11
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 4
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 10
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11
- Russia’s economic crisis causing big trouble for KHL 56