Jul 19, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
There’s no doubt it’s been a rough year for Michael Del Zotto.
He wound up in Alain Vigneault’s doghouse with the New York Rangers and was traded to Nashville where he wound up being “not a fit” with the Predators according to GM David Poile.
Now we’re almost three weeks into free agency and Del Zotto has yet to land with a team. That’s serving only to be a motivation for the 24-year-old defenseman as Luke Fox of Sportsnet shared.
“I’m just waiting for the right opportunity to prove myself again,” Del Zotto says, “and prove everybody who’s doubted me wrong.”
Del Zotto said he’s been speaking to “a bunch” of teams lately and he’s eager to show his offensive game can be a valuable asset to whatever team wants him.
The offensive game is fine, but it’s the defensive side of things that he’ll have to show aren’t an issue. Going back to his time playing for John Tortorella in New York, that was one of the issues that had to be figured out. At his age it’s not as if he’s a lost cause, but with how things have gone in the past year, including Barry Trotz saying his game has “slipped”, he’s proving to be a hard sell.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (36)