Jul 19, 2014, 6:07 PM EST
That said, this is a team that won its first two postseason games in franchise history and made the Pittsburgh Penguins sweat before eventually advancing in six contests. That’s a promising building block for the future, yet Blue Jackets president of hockey operations believes that the addition of Hartnell, hopefully improved health from Nathan Horton and continued development will only mean even bigger things in 2014-15.
“To see the depth we have, not only with our team here but the youngsters coming, I think that getting Nathan in healthy is going to be a big boost for us,” Davidson said, via NHL.com. “It’s about knowing you have a chance to do some damage. This isn’t on a wing and a prayer anymore. This isn’t hoping [goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky] stops 55 shots. This is a team that has capabilities of winning at home, winning on the road, and doing some damage.”
Davidson discussed how much he likes everything about the fabric of this team, including how players stick up for each other.
Still, some might not think of much (except maybe professional wrestling?) when they hear the phrase “intestinal fortitude.” Fans looking for more concrete reasons to be excited about this Blue Jackets team would likely be pleased to find out that the team’s possession numbers improved as the season went along (chart via Extra Skater):
Maybe that’s a sign that the team’s young players improved after they got their feet wet. Perhaps it could be chalked up to a changing approach from their coach staff. It may very well be a combination of those two (and other) factors.
Either way, the numbers back up Davidson’s feelings, so the Blue Jackets could indeed be a team to watch in 2014-15.
Here are both parts of Davidson’s interview regarding his team, in case you’re interested:
Jan 25, 2015, 9:49 PM EST
“We’re so proud of our city for showing that hockey is such a big deal here.”
Jan 25, 2015, 9:25 PM EST
“This is something I’ll remember for a very long time.”
Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs
Jan 25, 2015, 8:59 PM EST
“I remember them being quiet in the end when we won.”
Jan 25, 2015, 8:16 PM EST
29 goals in all.
Jan 25, 2015, 7:36 PM EST
11 in total, eclipsing the old mark by one.
Jan 25, 2015, 6:43 PM EST
Chicago will resume play on Wednesday against Los Angeles.
Jan 25, 2015, 6:18 PM EST
Johansen scored again before the first period ended.
Jan 25, 2015, 5:43 PM EST
Vancouver forward gets Team Foligno on the board early.
Jan 25, 2015, 4:58 PM EST
A grab bag of fun as the game rapidly approaches.
Jan 25, 2015, 4:30 PM EST
It’s the 2015 NHL All-Star Game from Nationwide Arena in Columbus, on NBCSN.
Jan 25, 2015, 3:33 PM EST
Team Foligno and Team Toews square off.
Jan 25, 2015, 3:20 PM EST
He’ll probably be OK.
Jan 25, 2015, 2:02 PM EST
The bubble seems limited, at least.
Jan 25, 2015, 12:48 PM EST
He has more control over his chances in the All-Star Game itself.
Jan 25, 2015, 11:54 AM EST
Maybe we should ease up on the guy.
Jan 25, 2015, 10:50 AM EST
A rare opportunity sidetracked by his groin injury.
Jan 25, 2015, 9:30 AM EST
It sounds like he won’t face the same headaches as others who skipped the event.
Jan 24, 2015, 10:03 PM EST
See you all tomorrow.
Jan 24, 2015, 9:41 PM EST
Florida’s All-Star goalie never gave up on it.
Jan 24, 2015, 9:14 PM EST
Just 0.3 away from Zdeno Chara’s all-time record.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)