Jul 19, 2014, 6:07 PM EDT
That said, this is a team that won its first two postseason games in franchise history and made the Pittsburgh Penguins sweat before eventually advancing in six contests. That’s a promising building block for the future, yet Blue Jackets president of hockey operations believes that the addition of Hartnell, hopefully improved health from Nathan Horton and continued development will only mean even bigger things in 2014-15.
“To see the depth we have, not only with our team here but the youngsters coming, I think that getting Nathan in healthy is going to be a big boost for us,” Davidson said, via NHL.com. “It’s about knowing you have a chance to do some damage. This isn’t on a wing and a prayer anymore. This isn’t hoping [goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky] stops 55 shots. This is a team that has capabilities of winning at home, winning on the road, and doing some damage.”
Davidson discussed how much he likes everything about the fabric of this team, including how players stick up for each other.
Still, some might not think of much (except maybe professional wrestling?) when they hear the phrase “intestinal fortitude.” Fans looking for more concrete reasons to be excited about this Blue Jackets team would likely be pleased to find out that the team’s possession numbers improved as the season went along (chart via Extra Skater):
Maybe that’s a sign that the team’s young players improved after they got their feet wet. Perhaps it could be chalked up to a changing approach from their coach staff. It may very well be a combination of those two (and other) factors.
Either way, the numbers back up Davidson’s feelings, so the Blue Jackets could indeed be a team to watch in 2014-15.
Here are both parts of Davidson’s interview regarding his team, in case you’re interested:
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)