Jul 19, 2014, 6:07 PM EDT
That said, this is a team that won its first two postseason games in franchise history and made the Pittsburgh Penguins sweat before eventually advancing in six contests. That’s a promising building block for the future, yet Blue Jackets president of hockey operations believes that the addition of Hartnell, hopefully improved health from Nathan Horton and continued development will only mean even bigger things in 2014-15.
“To see the depth we have, not only with our team here but the youngsters coming, I think that getting Nathan in healthy is going to be a big boost for us,” Davidson said, via NHL.com. “It’s about knowing you have a chance to do some damage. This isn’t on a wing and a prayer anymore. This isn’t hoping [goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky] stops 55 shots. This is a team that has capabilities of winning at home, winning on the road, and doing some damage.”
Davidson discussed how much he likes everything about the fabric of this team, including how players stick up for each other.
Still, some might not think of much (except maybe professional wrestling?) when they hear the phrase “intestinal fortitude.” Fans looking for more concrete reasons to be excited about this Blue Jackets team would likely be pleased to find out that the team’s possession numbers improved as the season went along (chart via Extra Skater):
Maybe that’s a sign that the team’s young players improved after they got their feet wet. Perhaps it could be chalked up to a changing approach from their coach staff. It may very well be a combination of those two (and other) factors.
Either way, the numbers back up Davidson’s feelings, so the Blue Jackets could indeed be a team to watch in 2014-15.
Here are both parts of Davidson’s interview regarding his team, in case you’re interested:
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 7
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 17
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 50
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)