Jul 18, 2014, 9:51 PM EST
Going into this summer, one of the big questions facing the Chicago Blackhawks was who they could get to serve as their second-line center. The fact that they were close to the cap complicated matters, but their problem was solved when Brad Richards agreed to join them at the discounted price for $2 million for the 2014-15 campaign.
One of the perks of that signing is that it allows the Blackhawks to take some pressure off of 19-year-old forward Teuvo Teravainen, who was a potential fallback option. Now it’s possible that Teravainen won’t make the team at all and instead get some seasoning in the minors.
That might not be a bad thing for him as he has very little North American experience, but it’s not what Finnish league standout wants.
Originally taken with the 18th overall pick in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, Teravainen had nine goals and 44 points in 48 games with Jokerit Helsinki last season. He then came over to North America where he played in three games with Chicago and five with the AHL Rockford IceHogs.
Although he was originally penciled in as a center, Teravainen is happy to serve as a winger if it means making the team. Even still, it will be a tough battle for him as Chicago currently has 12 forwards signed to one-way contracts and that doesn’t include Brandon Saad.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)