Jul 18, 2014, 9:51 PM EST
Going into this summer, one of the big questions facing the Chicago Blackhawks was who they could get to serve as their second-line center. The fact that they were close to the cap complicated matters, but their problem was solved when Brad Richards agreed to join them at the discounted price for $2 million for the 2014-15 campaign.
One of the perks of that signing is that it allows the Blackhawks to take some pressure off of 19-year-old forward Teuvo Teravainen, who was a potential fallback option. Now it’s possible that Teravainen won’t make the team at all and instead get some seasoning in the minors.
That might not be a bad thing for him as he has very little North American experience, but it’s not what Finnish league standout wants.
Originally taken with the 18th overall pick in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, Teravainen had nine goals and 44 points in 48 games with Jokerit Helsinki last season. He then came over to North America where he played in three games with Chicago and five with the AHL Rockford IceHogs.
Although he was originally penciled in as a center, Teravainen is happy to serve as a winger if it means making the team. Even still, it will be a tough battle for him as Chicago currently has 12 forwards signed to one-way contracts and that doesn’t include Brandon Saad.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 19
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (64)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)