Jul 18, 2014, 9:51 PM EDT
Going into this summer, one of the big questions facing the Chicago Blackhawks was who they could get to serve as their second-line center. The fact that they were close to the cap complicated matters, but their problem was solved when Brad Richards agreed to join them at the discounted price for $2 million for the 2014-15 campaign.
One of the perks of that signing is that it allows the Blackhawks to take some pressure off of 19-year-old forward Teuvo Teravainen, who was a potential fallback option. Now it’s possible that Teravainen won’t make the team at all and instead get some seasoning in the minors.
That might not be a bad thing for him as he has very little North American experience, but it’s not what Finnish league standout wants.
Originally taken with the 18th overall pick in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, Teravainen had nine goals and 44 points in 48 games with Jokerit Helsinki last season. He then came over to North America where he played in three games with Chicago and five with the AHL Rockford IceHogs.
Although he was originally penciled in as a center, Teravainen is happy to serve as a winger if it means making the team. Even still, it will be a tough battle for him as Chicago currently has 12 forwards signed to one-way contracts and that doesn’t include Brandon Saad.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)