Jul 18, 2014, 9:51 PM EST
Going into this summer, one of the big questions facing the Chicago Blackhawks was who they could get to serve as their second-line center. The fact that they were close to the cap complicated matters, but their problem was solved when Brad Richards agreed to join them at the discounted price for $2 million for the 2014-15 campaign.
One of the perks of that signing is that it allows the Blackhawks to take some pressure off of 19-year-old forward Teuvo Teravainen, who was a potential fallback option. Now it’s possible that Teravainen won’t make the team at all and instead get some seasoning in the minors.
That might not be a bad thing for him as he has very little North American experience, but it’s not what Finnish league standout wants.
Originally taken with the 18th overall pick in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, Teravainen had nine goals and 44 points in 48 games with Jokerit Helsinki last season. He then came over to North America where he played in three games with Chicago and five with the AHL Rockford IceHogs.
Although he was originally penciled in as a center, Teravainen is happy to serve as a winger if it means making the team. Even still, it will be a tough battle for him as Chicago currently has 12 forwards signed to one-way contracts and that doesn’t include Brandon Saad.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)