Jul 18, 2014, 12:14 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins have reportedly agreed to terms with one of their promising young defensemen.
Zach Trotman, who made his NHL debut last season following the injury to Dennis Seidenberg, has agreed to a two-year deal worth $1.25 million overall — good for a $625,000 cap hit at the big league level — per CapGeek.
Trotman, 23, was a seventh-round pick at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft but has steadily worked his way through the B’s organization. A big, rangy blueliner — he stands 6-foot-4, 205 pounds — Trotman showed good offensive ability with AHL Providence last year, scoring eight goals and 24 points in 53 games.
It’ll be interesting to see if Trotman can work his way into the B’s rotation next year. It seems unlikely, given the club has seven blueliners on NHL deals (Seidenberg, Zdeno Chara, Johnny Boychuk, Adam McQuaid, Matt Bartkowski, Dougie Hamilton, Kevan Miller) and still needs to work out a new deal with RFA Torey Krug. What’s more, Trotman is on a two-way deal next year.
The 2015-16 season, though, definitely seems like the time Trotman would be vying for a spot — his contract is a one-way that year, as Boychuk, McQuaid and Bartkowski are all UFAs next July.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 18
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 10
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 40
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)