Jul 18, 2014, 12:14 PM EST
The Boston Bruins have reportedly agreed to terms with one of their promising young defensemen.
Zach Trotman, who made his NHL debut last season following the injury to Dennis Seidenberg, has agreed to a two-year deal worth $1.25 million overall — good for a $625,000 cap hit at the big league level — per CapGeek.
Trotman, 23, was a seventh-round pick at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft but has steadily worked his way through the B’s organization. A big, rangy blueliner — he stands 6-foot-4, 205 pounds — Trotman showed good offensive ability with AHL Providence last year, scoring eight goals and 24 points in 53 games.
It’ll be interesting to see if Trotman can work his way into the B’s rotation next year. It seems unlikely, given the club has seven blueliners on NHL deals (Seidenberg, Zdeno Chara, Johnny Boychuk, Adam McQuaid, Matt Bartkowski, Dougie Hamilton, Kevan Miller) and still needs to work out a new deal with RFA Torey Krug. What’s more, Trotman is on a two-way deal next year.
The 2015-16 season, though, definitely seems like the time Trotman would be vying for a spot — his contract is a one-way that year, as Boychuk, McQuaid and Bartkowski are all UFAs next July.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 57
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 28
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)