Jul 18, 2014, 12:14 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins have reportedly agreed to terms with one of their promising young defensemen.
Zach Trotman, who made his NHL debut last season following the injury to Dennis Seidenberg, has agreed to a two-year deal worth $1.25 million overall — good for a $625,000 cap hit at the big league level — per CapGeek.
Trotman, 23, was a seventh-round pick at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft but has steadily worked his way through the B’s organization. A big, rangy blueliner — he stands 6-foot-4, 205 pounds — Trotman showed good offensive ability with AHL Providence last year, scoring eight goals and 24 points in 53 games.
It’ll be interesting to see if Trotman can work his way into the B’s rotation next year. It seems unlikely, given the club has seven blueliners on NHL deals (Seidenberg, Zdeno Chara, Johnny Boychuk, Adam McQuaid, Matt Bartkowski, Dougie Hamilton, Kevan Miller) and still needs to work out a new deal with RFA Torey Krug. What’s more, Trotman is on a two-way deal next year.
The 2015-16 season, though, definitely seems like the time Trotman would be vying for a spot — his contract is a one-way that year, as Boychuk, McQuaid and Bartkowski are all UFAs next July.
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 4
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 9
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 18
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 48
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 36
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)