Jul 18, 2014, 12:14 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins have reportedly agreed to terms with one of their promising young defensemen.
Zach Trotman, who made his NHL debut last season following the injury to Dennis Seidenberg, has agreed to a two-year deal worth $1.25 million overall — good for a $625,000 cap hit at the big league level — per CapGeek.
Trotman, 23, was a seventh-round pick at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft but has steadily worked his way through the B’s organization. A big, rangy blueliner — he stands 6-foot-4, 205 pounds — Trotman showed good offensive ability with AHL Providence last year, scoring eight goals and 24 points in 53 games.
It’ll be interesting to see if Trotman can work his way into the B’s rotation next year. It seems unlikely, given the club has seven blueliners on NHL deals (Seidenberg, Zdeno Chara, Johnny Boychuk, Adam McQuaid, Matt Bartkowski, Dougie Hamilton, Kevan Miller) and still needs to work out a new deal with RFA Torey Krug. What’s more, Trotman is on a two-way deal next year.
The 2015-16 season, though, definitely seems like the time Trotman would be vying for a spot — his contract is a one-way that year, as Boychuk, McQuaid and Bartkowski are all UFAs next July.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 3
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 18
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)