Jul 18, 2014, 3:20 PM EST
The Arizona Coyotes have agreed to a three-year, entry-level deal with their first-round pick at this year’s entry draft, Brendan Perlini.
“We are very pleased to sign Brendan to an entry-level contract,” Coyotes GM Don Maloney said in a statement. “Brendan is a strong skater with great size and skill. He had an impressive prospect development camp and we look forward to watching his development.”
Perlini, 18, had 71 points in 58 games for OHL Niagara last year, his second season with the team. While he’s already got great size — 6-foot-3, 205 pounds — and some major offensive upside, it’s hard to imagine him making the Phoenix roster this fall.
While it’s true the Coyotes only have 13 forwards currently on NHL contracts, they also have a wealth of older prospects looking to make the leap — namely, the likes of Max Domi (12th overall, ’13) and Henrik Samuelsson (27th overall, ’12).
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 1
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 16
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)