Jul 18, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
The free agent frenzy has long since died down and most teams’ goaltending situations are set. Future Hall of Fame goalie Martin Brodeur is unsigned though and still “looking for the right fit,” even as he realizes that such an opportunity might not present itself this summer.
“It might come later on in the fall,” Brodeur suggested, per NHL.com. “I’m pretty open-minded. Regardless of what happens, if I play or don’t play, I’m ready for anything. I’m looking forward to a new challenge, regardless if it’s outside of hockey or still in hockey with a different organization.”
Brodeur is open to playing for a non-contender, although he would expect to start more in that scenario.
He might still secure a new contract, but even if he does, the 2014-15 campaign will probably be his last season. So with his career nearing its conclusion, Brodeur has started to think about what he might want to do once he hangs up his skates.
“It’s more in the office kind of job,” Brodeur said. “I’ve been doing this, the day-to-day operation as far as playing the game, for a long time, and I don’t know if I want to get back in coaching. Everybody knows that coaching is probably harder than player [because it’s] time-consuming.
“It will be something a little different than coaching; but again, I don’t close any doors on anything that [general manager Lou Lamoriello] would approach me [with] in the future.”
Brodeur is 12 wins away from becoming the first goaltender to ever reach the 700-win milestone. As it is, he’s the only member of the 600-win club and one of just two goaltenders (along with Patrick Roy) to ever earn 500 victories.
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 4
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 57
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 16
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 40
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 12
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 45
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (89)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)