Jul 17, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
After the Minnesota Wild were decimated by goalie injuries last season, their mantra going into the 2013-14 campaign seems to be that there’s no such thing as too much goaltending depth. With that in mind, the Minnesota Wild have re-signed John Curry to a one-year, two-way deal, per the StarTribune.
If Niklas Backstrom, Josh Harding, and Darcy Kuemper all start the 2014-15 campaign in the NHL, then Curry will likely battle Johan Gustafssson for playing time in the AHL. Curry is 30 years old and hadn’t played in the NHL for over four years before he started for the Wild against the St. Louis Blues on April 10 because Kuemper, Harding, and Backstrom were all unavailable.
Curry ended up turning aside 43 of 45 shots to win the game.
The Wild aren’t planning on re-signing defenseman Nate Prosser though. The 28-year-old is reportedly seeking a one-way contract after recording eight points and 58 penalty minutes in 53 games with Minnesota last season, but it looks like Minnesota isn’t interested in giving him that. Wild GM Chuck Fletcher has left the door open to the possibility of upgrading the team’s blueline via the trade market.
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 1
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 37
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 30
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 17
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 22
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 35
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 126
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (126)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)