Jul 17, 2014, 8:30 PM EST
After the Minnesota Wild were decimated by goalie injuries last season, their mantra going into the 2013-14 campaign seems to be that there’s no such thing as too much goaltending depth. With that in mind, the Minnesota Wild have re-signed John Curry to a one-year, two-way deal, per the StarTribune.
If Niklas Backstrom, Josh Harding, and Darcy Kuemper all start the 2014-15 campaign in the NHL, then Curry will likely battle Johan Gustafssson for playing time in the AHL. Curry is 30 years old and hadn’t played in the NHL for over four years before he started for the Wild against the St. Louis Blues on April 10 because Kuemper, Harding, and Backstrom were all unavailable.
Curry ended up turning aside 43 of 45 shots to win the game.
The Wild aren’t planning on re-signing defenseman Nate Prosser though. The 28-year-old is reportedly seeking a one-way contract after recording eight points and 58 penalty minutes in 53 games with Minnesota last season, but it looks like Minnesota isn’t interested in giving him that. Wild GM Chuck Fletcher has left the door open to the possibility of upgrading the team’s blueline via the trade market.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)