Jul 17, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
After the Minnesota Wild were decimated by goalie injuries last season, their mantra going into the 2013-14 campaign seems to be that there’s no such thing as too much goaltending depth. With that in mind, the Minnesota Wild have re-signed John Curry to a one-year, two-way deal, per the StarTribune.
If Niklas Backstrom, Josh Harding, and Darcy Kuemper all start the 2014-15 campaign in the NHL, then Curry will likely battle Johan Gustafssson for playing time in the AHL. Curry is 30 years old and hadn’t played in the NHL for over four years before he started for the Wild against the St. Louis Blues on April 10 because Kuemper, Harding, and Backstrom were all unavailable.
Curry ended up turning aside 43 of 45 shots to win the game.
The Wild aren’t planning on re-signing defenseman Nate Prosser though. The 28-year-old is reportedly seeking a one-way contract after recording eight points and 58 penalty minutes in 53 games with Minnesota last season, but it looks like Minnesota isn’t interested in giving him that. Wild GM Chuck Fletcher has left the door open to the possibility of upgrading the team’s blueline via the trade market.
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 4
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 47
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 14
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)