Jul 17, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
After the Minnesota Wild were decimated by goalie injuries last season, their mantra going into the 2013-14 campaign seems to be that there’s no such thing as too much goaltending depth. With that in mind, the Minnesota Wild have re-signed John Curry to a one-year, two-way deal, per the StarTribune.
If Niklas Backstrom, Josh Harding, and Darcy Kuemper all start the 2014-15 campaign in the NHL, then Curry will likely battle Johan Gustafssson for playing time in the AHL. Curry is 30 years old and hadn’t played in the NHL for over four years before he started for the Wild against the St. Louis Blues on April 10 because Kuemper, Harding, and Backstrom were all unavailable.
Curry ended up turning aside 43 of 45 shots to win the game.
The Wild aren’t planning on re-signing defenseman Nate Prosser though. The 28-year-old is reportedly seeking a one-way contract after recording eight points and 58 penalty minutes in 53 games with Minnesota last season, but it looks like Minnesota isn’t interested in giving him that. Wild GM Chuck Fletcher has left the door open to the possibility of upgrading the team’s blueline via the trade market.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (98)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)