Jul 17, 2014, 7:22 PM EST
There’s a reason why the New York Rangers didn’t make a major splash with the cap space they saved by buying out Brad Richards. They needed that room for their restricted free agents.
Although they currently have about $13 million in cap space remaining for the 2014-15 campaign, per Cap Geek, the Rangers still have to lock up forwards Derick Brassard, Chris Kreider, Mats Zuccarello, and defenseman John Moore.
The first three players on that list filed for arbitration and are all likely to get big paydays. However, the Rangers might be willing to give them even more annually than they would be awarded during their hearings if it would mean locking them up to long-term deals, according to the New York Post.
For example, it’s estimated that Zuccarello will be awarded around $3.7 million and $4 million after leading the team with 59 points last season. If the Rangers want to sign him to a multi-year contract though, it’s believed that Zuccarello would be expect around $4.5 million annually. Similarly, Brassard reportedly wants $5.5 million annually if the Rangers want to lock him up, although he could end up with roughly a million less than that in 2014-15 if the Rangers decide to go forward with his hearing.
Those two contracts alone will eat up most of the Rangers’ remaining cap space, but it would still leave them with enough room to get Kreider signed. After scoring 17 goals and 37 points in 66 games last season, Kreider’s arbitration date is scheduled for Wednesday. The Rangers are reportedly attempting to sign him to a two-year deal, but if that doesn’t work out, he will likely be awarded between $2.1 million and $2.5 million for the 2014-15 campaign.
Jan 28, 2015, 2:15 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Jan 28, 2015, 1:51 PM EST
An incident against Philly on Jan. 19 was the straw that broke the camel’s back.
Jan 28, 2015, 1:39 PM EST
Chris Stewart remains a member of the worst team in the NHL.
Jan 28, 2015, 1:39 PM EST
“We’re not giving up on him at all.”
Jan 28, 2015, 1:16 PM EST
Someone check the water in Columbus.
Jan 28, 2015, 1:11 PM EST
“That was a team with tremendous character, with great coaches, great players and quality individuals. “
Jan 28, 2015, 12:51 PM EST
Habs’ d-man was tossed from Tuesday night’s game.
Jan 28, 2015, 11:52 AM EST
“It shouldn’t be a part of hockey,” said Canucks captain Henrik Sedin.
Jan 28, 2015, 11:51 AM EST
Could be bad news. Could be good. All depends who you cheer for.
Jan 28, 2015, 11:33 AM EST
Boston d-man has struggled this season, but could be on the move by Mar. 2.
Jan 28, 2015, 11:17 AM EST
Los Angeles is currently out of the West’s top eight.
Jan 28, 2015, 11:16 AM EST
“Show up to your job, and you’re off suspension.”
Jan 28, 2015, 11:08 AM EST
Jim Rutherford, really working the phones.
Jan 28, 2015, 10:36 AM EST
“I got nothing left here.”
Jan 28, 2015, 9:45 AM EST
Both teams played last night.
Jan 28, 2015, 8:46 AM EST
Wednesday’s links lean toward a legend.
Jan 28, 2015, 1:45 AM EST
Vancouver has now been shutout in back-to-back home games.
Jan 28, 2015, 1:00 AM EST
Pittsburgh was without Crosby and Malkin.
Jan 28, 2015, 12:15 AM EST
He’s going to need some dental work.
Jan 27, 2015, 11:45 PM EST
Philly erased an early 2-0 deficit to earn two points.
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 7
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 15
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 15
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 61
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 28
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)