Jul 17, 2014, 10:12 AM EDT
Yesterday, we passed along a report claiming Buffalo was closing in on an extension for forward Tyler Ennis.
Today, the Sabres made it official.
Buffalo announced it has re-upped with Ennis on a multi-year deal, less than 24 hours after NHL Network reported the two sides had agreed to a five-year, $23 million deal. Though the Sabres didn’t confirm the term or money in their press release, the figures have been confirmed by a source of the Buffalo News.
Ennis, 24, will pull in an annual $4.6M cap hit with the new contract, putting him only behind Matt Moulson ($5 million annually) among Sabres forwards.
The deal comes on the heels of Ennis’ solid 2013-14 campaign, in which he scored a career-high 21 goals in 80 games, finishing with 43 points (Cody Hodgson led the team with 44.) Ennis also logged a career-high 18:51 TOI per game last season and finished third on the team in total faceoffs taken, although had a lousy winning percentage (38.7).
With the move, Buffalo now has a cap payroll of approximately $57 million, a far cry from a few weeks ago when people were openly wondering how GM Tim Murray was going to get the club to the cap floor.
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 7
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 31
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 25
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)