Jul 17, 2014, 10:12 AM EST
Yesterday, we passed along a report claiming Buffalo was closing in on an extension for forward Tyler Ennis.
Today, the Sabres made it official.
Buffalo announced it has re-upped with Ennis on a multi-year deal, less than 24 hours after NHL Network reported the two sides had agreed to a five-year, $23 million deal. Though the Sabres didn’t confirm the term or money in their press release, the figures have been confirmed by a source of the Buffalo News.
Ennis, 24, will pull in an annual $4.6M cap hit with the new contract, putting him only behind Matt Moulson ($5 million annually) among Sabres forwards.
The deal comes on the heels of Ennis’ solid 2013-14 campaign, in which he scored a career-high 21 goals in 80 games, finishing with 43 points (Cody Hodgson led the team with 44.) Ennis also logged a career-high 18:51 TOI per game last season and finished third on the team in total faceoffs taken, although had a lousy winning percentage (38.7).
With the move, Buffalo now has a cap payroll of approximately $57 million, a far cry from a few weeks ago when people were openly wondering how GM Tim Murray was going to get the club to the cap floor.
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 37
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 10
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 14
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 33
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 35
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 56
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (57)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (42)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)