Jul 17, 2014, 2:04 PM EST
Sounds like discussions for a new Curtis Glencross deal in Calgary will happen in the coming weeks, and it’ll be interesting to see what kind of deal each side is gunning for.
“I’ve talked to Brad [Treliving, new Flames GM] a few times now and my agent has also been in touch with him numerous times,” Glencross told Sportsnet Fan 960 radio on Wednesday. “The plan is they want to get the ball rolling after the [Aug 1.] arbitration thing with [Joe] Colborne, and get to talking.
“It is what it is. Hopefully we can hopefully get something done sooner rather than later, and not have to worry about a contract during the season.”
Glencross, 31, put up good offensive numbers through a injury-plagued ’13-14 campaign. Despite missing 15 games with a sprained MCL and another 29 with an ankle issue, he posted 12 goals and 24 points in 38 games — which would make him a pretty sought-after commodity should he hit the open market next summer (lest we forget that, from 2010-12, Glencross averaged 25 goals and 45 points per season.)
Hitting the open market is a legit possibility. While Glencross wants to return to Calgary — he’s been with the Flames for the last six seasons, and serves as alternate captain — he acknowledged he took a hometown discount on his current deal (four years at $10.2 million, which expires next July) and isn’t really interested in doing it again.
“It’ll be a little bit different this time around,” Glencross explained. “I told them when we did the last deal that I love playing at home and I’ll take kind of a hometown discount hit so we could make this team a better team.
“I might only have a couple more contracts left in my career, and this is probably the biggest contract of my career. The Flames have to know that as well, and hopefully they take it into consideration, what I did the last four years.”
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 40
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 22
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 40
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)