Jul 17, 2014, 2:04 PM EDT
Sounds like discussions for a new Curtis Glencross deal in Calgary will happen in the coming weeks, and it’ll be interesting to see what kind of deal each side is gunning for.
“I’ve talked to Brad [Treliving, new Flames GM] a few times now and my agent has also been in touch with him numerous times,” Glencross told Sportsnet Fan 960 radio on Wednesday. “The plan is they want to get the ball rolling after the [Aug 1.] arbitration thing with [Joe] Colborne, and get to talking.
“It is what it is. Hopefully we can hopefully get something done sooner rather than later, and not have to worry about a contract during the season.”
Glencross, 31, put up good offensive numbers through a injury-plagued ’13-14 campaign. Despite missing 15 games with a sprained MCL and another 29 with an ankle issue, he posted 12 goals and 24 points in 38 games — which would make him a pretty sought-after commodity should he hit the open market next summer (lest we forget that, from 2010-12, Glencross averaged 25 goals and 45 points per season.)
Hitting the open market is a legit possibility. While Glencross wants to return to Calgary — he’s been with the Flames for the last six seasons, and serves as alternate captain — he acknowledged he took a hometown discount on his current deal (four years at $10.2 million, which expires next July) and isn’t really interested in doing it again.
“It’ll be a little bit different this time around,” Glencross explained. “I told them when we did the last deal that I love playing at home and I’ll take kind of a hometown discount hit so we could make this team a better team.
“I might only have a couple more contracts left in my career, and this is probably the biggest contract of my career. The Flames have to know that as well, and hopefully they take it into consideration, what I did the last four years.”
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 17
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)