Jul 17, 2014, 5:10 PM EST
Jacob Josefson‘s playing time was limited in 2013-14, but the restricted free agent has received a mild raise from the New Jersey Devils. After scoring a goal and registering two assists in 27 contests last season, the Devils have inked him to a two-year, $1.6 million contract, according to the Star-Ledger’s Rich Chere.
The 23-year-old forward has seven goals and 25 points in 118 career NHL games. Although he has displayed some offensive capabilities in the minors, his role with the Devils has been more defensive. He averaged just 10:07 minutes per contest on the rare occasions that he did play last season, but he was used to help kill penalties.
His lack of playing time with New Jersey has been a source of concern for him as he said back in March that he was worried about his future with the team. Now he’ll at least have two more seasons to prove his worth.
With Josefson under contract, the Devils now have 14 forwards signed to one-way contracts for the 2014-15 campaign. That will make it particularly difficult for top prospects Stefan Matteau and Reid Boucher to make the team’s opening game roster.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 7
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)