Jul 17, 2014, 5:10 PM EDT
Jacob Josefson‘s playing time was limited in 2013-14, but the restricted free agent has received a mild raise from the New Jersey Devils. After scoring a goal and registering two assists in 27 contests last season, the Devils have inked him to a two-year, $1.6 million contract, according to the Star-Ledger’s Rich Chere.
The 23-year-old forward has seven goals and 25 points in 118 career NHL games. Although he has displayed some offensive capabilities in the minors, his role with the Devils has been more defensive. He averaged just 10:07 minutes per contest on the rare occasions that he did play last season, but he was used to help kill penalties.
His lack of playing time with New Jersey has been a source of concern for him as he said back in March that he was worried about his future with the team. Now he’ll at least have two more seasons to prove his worth.
With Josefson under contract, the Devils now have 14 forwards signed to one-way contracts for the 2014-15 campaign. That will make it particularly difficult for top prospects Stefan Matteau and Reid Boucher to make the team’s opening game roster.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)