Jul 16, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
Jason Demers has been rewarded for his banner campaign.
Demers, who led all Sharks defensemen with a career-high 29 assists last year, has avoided salary arbitration by inking a two-year, $6.8 million extension with San Jose, the club announced on Wednesday.
“Jason has been a solid, offensive defenseman and is coming off a good season,” Sharks GM Doug Wilson said in a statement. “His skill set and his age mesh well within our overall group and we’re happy to have him signed for two more years.”
Demers, 26, has spent his entire career in the Bay Area and is one of the club’s better success stories — a seventh-round pick at the ’08 Draft, Demers was named the Sharks’ rookie of the year in 2009-10 and has steadily grown into one of their most valuable rearguards, averaging nearly 20 minutes per game last season.
In related news, San Jose also re-upped with another RFA defenseman on Wednesday — Taylor Doherty, the team’s second-round pick (57th overall) at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft. Doherty, 23, has yet to make his NHL debut (spending his entire professional career with AHL Worcester), but Wilson suggested that next year could be one in which Doherty cracks the bigs.
“Taylor is a big body who has developed his game over the last several years,” said Wilson. “We look forward to watching him compete to make our club this coming season.”
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 6
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 51
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 24
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 18
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 14
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)