Jul 16, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
Jason Demers has been rewarded for his banner campaign.
Demers, who led all Sharks defensemen with a career-high 29 assists last year, has avoided salary arbitration by inking a two-year, $6.8 million extension with San Jose, the club announced on Wednesday.
“Jason has been a solid, offensive defenseman and is coming off a good season,” Sharks GM Doug Wilson said in a statement. “His skill set and his age mesh well within our overall group and we’re happy to have him signed for two more years.”
Demers, 26, has spent his entire career in the Bay Area and is one of the club’s better success stories — a seventh-round pick at the ’08 Draft, Demers was named the Sharks’ rookie of the year in 2009-10 and has steadily grown into one of their most valuable rearguards, averaging nearly 20 minutes per game last season.
In related news, San Jose also re-upped with another RFA defenseman on Wednesday — Taylor Doherty, the team’s second-round pick (57th overall) at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft. Doherty, 23, has yet to make his NHL debut (spending his entire professional career with AHL Worcester), but Wilson suggested that next year could be one in which Doherty cracks the bigs.
“Taylor is a big body who has developed his game over the last several years,” said Wilson. “We look forward to watching him compete to make our club this coming season.”
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 33
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 13
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 93
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 17
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (93)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)