Jul 16, 2014, 4:16 PM EST
According to reports, Buffalo will make last year’s second-leading scorer its second-highest paid forward.
The club is close to announcing an extension for current RFA Tyler Ennis, per NHL Network’s Kevin Weekes. Ennis, 24, will reportedly ink a five-year deal in the neighborhood of $23M — if accurate, it would give Ennis a $4.6M cap hit, putting him only behind Matt Moulson ($5 million annually) among Sabres forwards.
Ennis’ deal comes on the heels of a pretty solid ’13-14 campaign, in which he scored a career-high 21 goals in 80 games, finishing with 43 points (Cody Hodgson led the team with 44.) Ennis also logged a career-high 18:51 TOI per game last season and finished third on the team in total faceoffs taken, though had a lousy winning percentage (38.7).
His offensive production should further increase this season after GM Tim Murray’s big summer splash. Free agents Moulson and Brian Gionta, along with Sam Reinhart — the second overall pick at the 2014 NHL Entry Draft — should all improve facets of Buffalo’s offense, and a full season of a healthy Chris Stewart will likely translate into more goals as well.
As for confirmation of the Ennis deal, the Sabres weren’t confirming anything — per the Buffalo News — but the News’ Mike Harrington did have this to say:
As refresher Hodgson got 6 years and $25.5 million last summer with a $4.25 cap hit… Ennis will be in that ballpark certainly #Sabres
— Mike Harrington (@BNHarrington) July 16, 2014
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)